Chapter 36 - Green Fingers

Does he realise he's staring at me? Thought Taro, who was pinned to the right wall with two other guards. Sage, who sat among a cluster of chairs, had a sombre look in his eye. Even from across the room, Taro could see how the energy of the room drained him. Taro silently mouthed, are you okay?

Sage blinked and suddenly dropped his gaze, but that wasn't the last time Sage looked away after catching himself staring. Taro wondered what he was thinking, and whether anyone else had noticed Sage's glumness.

The night for him was long and dreary. Taro stood in the same place because Sage sat in the same seat, only talking to those who approached him. Then his mother sat next to him, shared a private whisper, and Sage eventually got up to fake smile and be more social.

Of course, Sage glanced his way whenever they faced each other.

Taro was once again fascinated by how he could find the strength. He would've watched Sage for longer, but another set of eyes were on him. Taro glanced to one of the ridiculously tall windows and connected eyes with the Queen.

She wore a magnificent off shoulder mint green dress. White lace travelled from the bottom of the dress up to her waist with an effortless ombre effect. Mint lace covered her arms and arrowed over the back of her hand. Her dress was the brightest and the biggest in the room. If it weren't for the golden tiara above her curls, just her presence told everyone that she was important.

Sage looked more like his father than his mother, but they shared the same dark skin and rich brown curls, and dark observant eyes. Her stare was particularly curious, but as quickly as her gaze had fallen on him, they were on someone else.

The event ended at midnight. Sage had to say goodbye to everyone before he could escape. Instead of going to bed, he wanted to go for a walk in the gardens. Taro could only imagine that his head was too busy to sleep after a night of talking. He too needed fresh air.

They walked in silence for a while. Sage walked ahead with hands linked behind his back. His fingers fidgeted which was a sign that he had a lot on his mind. Taro wanted to give him space, but he didn't want to seem distant.

Sage walked the furthest he could from the Palace and sat on a bench next to a small water fountain. The only sound around them was the noise of trickling water. Taro eyed the bushes; none of his kind slept in hearing distance, so he shared the bench.

Taro sat close enough for their legs to touch, which seemed to pull Sage out of his deep thoughts. "I think you're the only one who didn't stumble their way out of the building," Taro said.

"I think I was the only one not having a good time," Sage mumbled, looking around at the surrounding plants. "Are we alone?"

"Yes."

Sage slouched and unbuttoned his waistcoat. "I don't know how I managed to stay to the end. Everyone seemed to be so interested in my love life. Seeing you standing there after what we've talked about..." Sage sighed. "It just saddened me that I wasn't brave enough to say anything."

"It's not that you're not brave, you're just not ready for all the opinions from people who have no business involving themselves in your personal life." Taro nudged him. "One day I'm sure you can scream it from the roof, and I want to be there when you do."

Sage smiled weakly. "I can see now how ashamed I was of myself. I wish I could be more like you."

"Excuse me, I'm an original." Taro grinned and put his arm on the back of the bench. His fingers curled gently around Sage's arm. "You're Sagerian Greenthenor, god what a mouthful," Taro scoffed, and Sage chuckled. "You're your own person. You're just figuring things out in your own time. At least now you're seeing how closeted you were."