7

Miracles

Warlock was in front along with Maverick. "Morning, The Uranium plant that is your target will be operational earlier than expected. Raw Uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days time. As a result, your mission will be moved up by one week, in order to avoid contaminating the target valley with radiation." Warlock explained. "For fuck stakes.." Ghost muttered as Venom bit the tip of her thumb.

"Sir, no one has successfully flown a low level course." Coyote speaks up. "Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on. Captain." Warlock steps away, calling Maverick up.

"We have one week to focus on phase two. It's the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop-up strike with a deep dive requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles. Two pairs of F-18s will fly in an welded-wing formation. Teamwork, precise coordination of these aircrafts are essential to the mission's success and your survival." Maverick explained as he turns on the screen which depicts the sharp incline, followed by the steep drop, followed by an even more intense incline that they'll be flying on the mission.

"As you know, the plant rests between two mountains. On final approach, you will invert directly into a steep dive. This allows you to maintain the lowest possible altitude and the only possible attack angle. Your target is an impact point less than three meters wide. The two-seat aircraft will paint the target with laser bullseye. The first pair will breech the reaction by dropping the laser-guided bomb on an exposed ventilation hatch. This will create an opening for the second pair. That's miracle number one." Maverick explained.

"The second team, Will deliver the kill shot and destroy the target. That's miracle number two." He added. Dove and Rooster looked at each other then back at Maverick. "If either team misses the target, the mission is a failure. Egress is a steep high-G climb to avoid hitting this mountain." Maverick finished.

"A steep climb at that speed? You're pulling at least Eight G's." Hangman points out in a concerned tone. "Meaning Nine at Minimum?" Venom questioned and Maverick nodded at her. Ghost and Venom looked at each other. "The stress limit of the F-18 is 7.5" Rooster states.

"That's the accepted limit. To survive this mission, you will pull beyond that. Even if it means bending your air frame. You'll be pulling so hard, you'll weigh close to 2000 pounds. Your skull crushing your spine. Your lungs imploding like an elephant is sitting on your chest. Fighting everything you have to keep from blacking out and this is where you'll be at your most vulnerable. This is coffin corner. Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain, You'll climb straight into enemy's radar, while loosing all of your air speed. Within seconds, you'll be fired upon by enemy SAMs. You've all faced sustained G's before but this is going to take you and your aircraft to the breaking point." Maverick explained.

"Sir, is this even achievable?" Ghost asked with concern. "The answer to that question will come down to the pilot in the box." Maverick responded and Scorpion hummed. "Pilots, prepare for take off. You've been briefed on phase two, time to give it a run." Cyclone said to them from the back. Everyone headed to the locker room. 

..............

Scorpion, Ghost and Venom were the last to set out. Nobody hasn't achieved the task at hand. Maverick put the three of them together this time, Ghost wasn't going to argue about this.

"Talk to me Venom, What's happening?" Ghost asked Venom. "Well we're are twelve seconds late on target, we have to pick up the pace here." Venom spatted. "Fuck." Scorpion muttered. "Copy, Ghost, you two try and stay with me."  Scorpion added. Ghost was shocked to hear Scorpion being cooperative but she wasn't going to question it , not right now.

"Wait wait wait... Who's that?" Venom calls out, pointing out on the radar, Ghost furrowed her brows. "Blue team, you've been spotted." Maverick's voice called out. Scorpion became tense. "It's Maverick." Scorpion tells both Ghost and Venom. "What the hell is he doing here?" Ghost asked. "I'm a bandit on course to intercept." Maverick states. "Blue team, what are you going to do?" He asked them.