4

You just didn't

Ghost and Venom sat and waited for Maverick to come into the room. Ghost had alot on her mind, especially with her mother. Before she spoke to Venom, Maverick walked into the rookm

He stood in front of a monitor that displayed a flight simulation. "Phase one of the mission will be a low-level attack. You'll be flying along the narrow canyon walls to the target. The surface-to-air missiles defend the skies above, not the canyon below." He explained.

"That's because no one is insane enough to fly below." Rooster commented. "That's exactly what I'm going to train you to do." Maverick responded. He described the low altitudes and high speeds the pilots would be flying for today's simulation. It was an improvement from the actual altitude and speed required for the mission, but it was still worrying. No pilot had ever flown a mission like this before, not even Maverick.

"Time to target is two and a half minutes." Ghost and Venom looked at each other. "Fifth-generation fighter jets wait at a base nearby. You need to get in and you need to get out. This makes time your greatest adversary." Maverick explained.

..........

To say, nobody didn't succeed this phase of the training. Maverick looked at them and sighed then prodded them for reasons behind their mistakes.

"What happened?" Maverick questioned Hangman. "This should be a good one." Venom muttered loud enough where Hangman gave her a dirty look and she gave him back. Then he looked back at Maverick, with a prideful smirk evident on his face, "Scorpion and I flew as fast as I could. Kind of like our life depended on it." Hangman replied to Maverick. Venom scoffed while Ghost rolled her eyes.

"Yeah and you put your team in danger and now your wingman is dead." Rooster criticized him. "They couldn't keep up." He replied. "This isn't a race who is the fastest pilot out there you know, the team is suppose to stick together...stick together to work together and to not only survive the mission but to succeed, same goes to you Scorpion." Venom responded to Hangman and Everyone agreed

Maverick looked at both Ghost and Rooster. "Why are you two dead?" He asked the both of them. "Maverick, these two were the only one who made it to the target, I know this because I was in the backseat." Venom said. "A minute late, which gave time for the enemy aircraft to shoot them both down." Maverick responded.

"You don't know that." Rooster argued. Hangman sighed. "You're not flying fast enough." He replied. "You and Scorpion think this is about speed, but it isn't." Ghost said.

"Ghost and I made it to the target." Rooster stated. "And superior enemy aircraft intercepted the both of you on your way out." Maverick stated as he looked at both Hangman and Rooster. "Then it's a dog fight." Rooster said and Venom bit the inside of her cheek. "Against Fifth generation fighters?" Maverick questioned.

"We still have a chance sir." Rooster said not taking a defeat. "In a F-18?" Maverick questioned once more with rueful chuckle at him. "It's not the plane, sir. It's the pilot." Rooster replied. "Exactly!" Maverick flings back. Rooster looks at him for a moment and sighs in stress. "There's way more then just one way to fight on this mission." Ghost sat there listen to Rooster.

"You really don't get it do you?" Hangman turns his head back once again at Rooster. "This mission. A man like Maverick here or He doesn't come back." He looks over at Phoenix. "No offense." He winks at her. She scoffed.  "Yet somehow, you always manage." Bob said as he made eye contact with Hangman. Ghost smiled a bit at Bob and Venom kept her eyes on Hangman.

"I don't mean, by any chance to criticize your conservative, that's all. We're going into combat on a level no living pilot as ever seen. Not even him." Hangman said looking a Maverick which caused Maverick to look at him. "It's no time to be thinking about the past, Rooster." Hangman said to him. Rooster looked at him, "What's that suppose to mean?" Rooster questioned.  

"Hangman just stop while your ahead." Ghost said sternly. "You know, while we're at it, we could talk about you Ghost?" Scorpion questioned. Ghost looked at her, "There's nothing to talk about her, this isn't about you." Venom said sternly. "Really, I was just going say, Ghost shouldn't go on this mission because of her daughter." Scorpion said which caused Ghost's eyes to widen along with Venom, Rooster and Phoenix.

Everyone froze. "Daughter?" Fanboy questioned. "Ghost has a daughter?" Coyote questioned. Maverick looked at Ghost, she was shaking, shaking with anger. "Bitch, you better be joking me right now, because I know you just didn't mention my daughter." Ghost said as she stood up. "Ghost... just calm down." Maverick said as Ghost approached Scorpion. "She's in protective Momma bear mode." Fanboy muttered.  "You know what I told you if you exposed my daughter." Ghost said as she stared at Scorpion, Scorpion gulped then Ghost shoved her to the ground. "Ghost." Payback said. Ghost started to shake even more, "I can't do this." Ghost said as she ran out of the room, "Ghost!" Maverick called out to her but she ran out of the room.

Venom looked at Scorpion, "You deserved that, like she should've just deck you." Venom spatted. "Venom." Maverick said sternly. "No Maverick, she just expose Odette, Ghost wanted to tell you all eventually, but it wasn't this bitch's place." Venom spatted. Venom looked around at the pilots, "Just give her time... Scorpion, it wasn't your place, like always you make things about you and.... damn it... the thing you all should know, Ghost is doing this for her daughter." Venom said. "You all are dismissed." Maverick said and Venom stormed out of the room, Payback followed her.

Rooster and Phoenix just glared at Scorpion. "I feel so bad for Ghost." Bob said. Phoenix turned to Bob, "She kept her hidden, to protect her." Phoenix said. "Understandable." Bob said.

..... 

Venom and Payback got to the parking lot and the car was gone. "Damn." Venom said. "Let me guess she was your ride home." Payback said and Venom nodded. "Let me take you home, I got to talk to her." Payback said and Venom nodded. "You two are suppose to hang out tonight." Venom said and he nodded.