A Toast

"It makes sense why the ride has been silent", Junior muttered. 

He thought of ways to startle Asha awake when he was about 5 minutes from the restaurant, but he couldn't bring himself to do it when he saw how peaceful she looked.
A part of him was looking forward to a somewhat empty Pancakery because they were pretty early for lunch, although he knew not to hope too much. Pancakery was in the heart of the business district, so it was the go-to restaurant for all the businesses nearby for their meetings and lunches. So it is nearly impossible to find it empty, even on the weekends, because the business folks brought their partners here. He knew Asha would like the food and the views Pancakery offered, but he wasn't so sure about the crowd. He gently called Asha to wake her up. Her eyes fluttered on the fifth call, and he was glad he didn't have to resort to shaking her out of her slumber.

"Have I been asleep the whole time?" She asked, a bit too conscious of herself.
"Most of the ride", Junior responded with a shrug.
"Oh I'm so sorry, Junior. I didn't realise how tired I was".
"It's okay, Asha, your snoring was bearable and you didn't drool so we're good".
She facepalmed herself. "I snore too? I'm so embarrassed."
Junior laughed at her. "I'm starving, let's go."
She looked towards the restaurant. "No Piwol's today? Are you fighting with them?"
Junior chuckled. "We can get dessert from Piwol's, if you want. This is my little way of saying congratulations on your interview. I am proud of you", he said as he made a sweeping gesture towards the restaurant. "And no, not that you were 'that good'", he said sarcastically. He looked at her before going on, "this is for taking the step to developing yourself and getting closer to your goals".
Asha was stunned; no words came out when she tried to speak. For a full minute, she sat stunned.
"Okay, madam. I am starving, are you coming?" Junior asked.
"Yes, yes, I am sorry. Thank you, Junior" was all she could manage.
They walked in silence.

Asha was overwhelmed with emotions; no one had done something like this for her. A part of her felt she was a fraud because she didn't think she deserved all the kindness Junior showed her.
Junior wondered if he had said something wrong that had gotten Asha offended and quiet. He hoped he hadn't ruined their lunch even before it started.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Siso, you're welcome. Ma'am, you're welcome", the security greeted as they entered.
"Hello, Tim, how are you? How's your wife and the little girl?" Junior asked.
"They are fine o. The girl is growing into a fine woman just like her mother o. It is like she didn't take anything from me."
Junior laughed, "I'm happy to hear that. I should come and visit soon. Let's talk tomorrow, okay?"
"Okay, Sir. I will call you".
Asha wondered how Junior knew the man.

"Good afternoon, Mr. Siso, please come with me", a waiter said as he led the way to an empty table for two.
"Mart, how are you?"
"I'm well, Sir. How are you too?"
"Ahh, as usual, tired but I'm good. Thank you", Junior responded as he pulled out a chair for Asha to sit.
Asha was in awe of how Junior seemed to know the staff and treated them with respect and dignity, and it made her feel less of a fraud.

The waiter handed them the menu and left them to decide.
"What will you have, Asha?"
"Umm, give me a moment, please".
"Take your time."
The restaurant served only three-course meals, so he understood why it was taking Asha a while to make a choice. There were lots of options to choose from.
"Would you want me to make some recommendations?" Junior asked after a while.
"Please, do", Asha responded with what seemed like a relief.
"I usually order their option 1 - chargrilled spicy chicken wings, herb roasted chicken and rice with honey glazed carrots and profiteroles for dessert. I have tried option 3 as well - vegetable spring rolls and samosas, spaghetti with meatballs and tomato sauce and a variety of homemade pastries for desserts. It wasn't as good as option 1 but I loved the variety of pastries. My brother's favorite is option 10 - Prawns/Shrimps cocktail, Chicken Pad Thai and the fruit cake for dessert. I want to try something new today. I am looking at option 6 - Cheesy Brisket Garlic Bread, Traditional Roast Pork Ribeye with Yorkshire pudding, served with potatoes and salad, and the chocolate-lemon curd tart for dessert."
"Then I will take option 1 since it is your usual. I am trusting your judgement."
"Yes ma'am, I'm sure you will enjoy it".