Undomesticated

Shay's POV-

The cool breeze trickled across my skin as I sat on the picnic blanket. Matt popped up on me today with a surprise date.

The last thing I expected was for him to bring me to a park littered with white folks.

I couldn't expect less since we were clearly in a suburban area. I just couldn't help but to be on edge though. I was the only black person other than some man that looked like a straight Christian Walker.

Although the environment was very iffy, I couldn't help myself from geeking over this man. He popped up on me with my favorite snacks and a bottle of some expensive ass wine after I told him I was having a bad day.

It was one of those days where I dwelled on all the negative shit I've experienced. I just don't understand why things had to be so hard for me. My dad was taken from me and my mother left me.

When my father died, I was completely broken. My dad was everything to me. He was my hero, when I was with him I felt like no one could touch me. I knew he was heavily involved in the streets but I didn't expect him to be killed. He never prepared us for that. I definitely didn't expect my mom to leave me and take everything I had to my name.

My dads death sent my world crashing down, I just wish I could go back in time and tell him not to go out.

"You look so beautiful" Matteo said as his eyes stared into mine.

I felt my cheeks heat up, "thank you"

"So, care to tell me why you're having a bad day?", he asked.

".....I've been through a lot these last few years. My dad died and my mom left me. I still haven't come to terms with it all.", I kept it short not wanting to get into details about it.

"Mmm im sorry for your lost bellissima. from what I know about grief, you'll never come to terms with it. You just learn to live with it. You can use it to make something great or something disastrous.", he said.

"Who did you lose?", I asked curious to what experience he has with grieving.

He chuckled, "I've lost a lot, mio madre, mio fratello, e tanti amici."

"I understand your brother and mother but I don't know what the last part means", I said trying to comprehend him,

"A lot of friends. I lost a lot of my friends, however not all to death", he began to pour wine into our cups.

He passed me my cup and I took a sip. "This tastes really good to say it's 20% alcohol."

"Yes, there's nothing like Italian wine."

We were sitting her talking for about an hour, I was beginning to feel a little light off of 3 cups of wine. Matt was telling me about his first time getting drunk when the white women were passing our picnic spot while eyeing us and whispering to each other.

"The fuck y'all looking at?", I was getting really irritated with all the stares and whispers.

"Excuse me?", one lady said.

"No excuse you Karen, you over there staring and whispering to yo friend n shit. That shits weird, Ian bothering you so mind yo damn business.", I expressed.

The lady scoffed, "you people are so sensitive, when has it become a problem to whisper? Sorry if that offended you girl", she said nonchalantly.

Addressing me as "you people" and "girl" really made my blood boil. I got up from the blanket that was on the ground so I could be eye level with this buffoon.

"Bitch you best to get the fuck on, I'd hate to do you in out here.", Matt had risen from his spot as well and got in between me and the two women.

"Bebé calm yourself", he said to me.