Chapter 28- Fawning Realisation

Start from the beginning

"I'll write it down and get to work then," I nodded.

"Why would you do that?" He stopped me from moving with his confused words, but he wasn't nearly as confused as I was.

"Isn't that only expected of me?" I raised a confused brow of my own.

"Maybe a few hundred years ago, but modernisations changed that. Just because you're the woman of the house doesn't mean all the duties should be pushed onto you. It's necessary as husband and wife to support each other, hosting parties is included in that," He chuckled.

"Oh, I guess... I better get used to that," As the Duchess, I was always hosting parties alone, and I had to do it quite regularly too so it became a heavy burden. Of course, I never let it show, but that didn't mean I didn't have a problem with it.

"Yes, please do," Lucian stood up, going to kiss my forehead before squatting down to stroke Milo who had finished his meal by now. "But for now, just relax as I go to get some work done. Being away for two weeks has got its consequences," He sighed.

And I watched him walk away, a sudden realisation fawning over me.

When I was married to Donovan, I wasn't enjoying life, I was tolerating it, but Lucian and everyone connected to Lucian has shown me what it's like to enjoy life. I've not been this happy since before my father's death.

I thought I had loved Donovan, but maybe I had just deceived myself into believing what wasn't true? Maybe I was so desperate to be loved after losing my father that I believed myself to be in love with the first person that showed any interest to me? And unfortunately, that person just so happened to be a spineless fool called Donovan Moretti.

But there were things that I liked about him, things that made me say yest to both dating him, and marrying him a few years later. But it was the bare minimum, and I had grown comfortable with him that I didn't bother realising that what he did for me was the bare minimum, but honestly, it was far below that.

But for now, I have much more important things to do than to think about my pitiful past.

And so, two weeks drifted by in delight. Julia, and my mother-in-law came over to help me and Lucian with party planning, and I was having so much fun, it didn't feel like I was planning anything.

"Thank you for coming, I'm so glad that you could make it," I greeted the guests as they walked in, Lucian standing by my side with his arm wound around my waist.

He was dressed nicely today in a royal blue suit, and I matched him with my own royal blue dress. It was a beautiful dress that Julia picked out for me, floor length with a deep V-neck and a long slit up the slide, hugging my figure nicely.

"Thank you for the invitation, you both look so lovely today," The lady whose name I don't know replied as she leaned in for a peck on the cheek.

"Oh, you're too nice. Enjoy the party," They nodded, walking away as I turned back to the entrance, waiting for the next person to greet.

"You're really a pro at this," He whispered to me.

"Well, I have experience," I replied, and he moved to stand behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist as I chuckled, tilting my head back to look up at him, and he grasped the opportunity to lean down, pressing his lips against my forehead.

And just in time, we heard the footsteps of two approaching people.

And standing back up straight, I felt the smile drop off my face when I saw who it was. I knew the moment would eventually come, but that never takes away from the brunt of the situation.

"Welcome to our home. I'm glad you could make it," Lucian was the first to speak as he came back to stand beside me, raising a hand to shake.

"Yes, I was a bit surprised to receive the invitation, but I'm thankful nevertheless," Donovan moved to shake his hand after much deliberation.

"Yes, thank you for inviting us," Nevaeh spoke, wearing a dress that fit her better than the one she wore to the party last time, but it was still a dress that belonged to me. Honestly, I was starting to wonder if Donovan was such a money hoarder that he wouldn't buy her clothes, or if she were just a complete weirdo?

"Enjoy the party. The conservatory is opened for guests to visit for their own pleasure, but seating and all other arrangements will be outside in the garden. Make yourselves comfortable," I gulped back the nerves before speaking, putting up the perfect facade once more.

"Yes," Donovan breathed out as Nevaeh pulled him along, but I looked away, ignoring his unmoving gaze until I relaxed once I was certain he was out of sight.

"They're here," I mumbled to Lucian.

"Yes, they actually came." He bit out, smiling at the guests that walked passed us. 

"But this just means more entertainment, I'm looking forward to it, aren't you, darling?" He paused with the fake smiling to turn to look at me.

"I guess we'll just have to find out,"

...