C h a p t e r 43

Chapter 43 : AlecTuesday, December 27th, 2022

Chapter 43 : Alec
Tuesday, December 27th, 2022

As much as I would love to spend every second of every day enjoying having Madelyn back in my arms, I fear that if I don't get to the bottom of this stalker situation soon, that enjoyment will be short lived. 

Darmonio is a sick and deprived man, and I physically feel nauseous knowing he's managed to hurt her already. The violated look on Madelyn's face when she learned about her underwear... it was unforgettable. 

I wish I could've shielded her from it. I wish I could've lied and said that everything was okay, but there was a lot about our relationship now that had to be different than the one we shared before. At the end of the day, Caleb, Xavier, and I were all high ranking members of the Mafia, and we couldn't keep Madelyn from our darkness forever. 

As the Don's underboss—his sottocapo—Xavier has me sent away on jobs all the time, even more so now that he's finally stepped into that title.

This also means our list of enemies was endless. Today, I wasn't going to come home until I found real answers. Whoever is terrorizing my girl is in for a hell of a wake up call. 

You don't touch what's mine and walk away without consequences. 

Raising my hands in absolute surrender, I inhale the humid air of San Diego as my feet carry me to what appears to be the doors of an abandoned warehouse. I know in my gut, though, that this is the entrance to the Keep—the place that housed a prisoner that never did the crime to get there. 

How far away would I be from the room that held her captive? How many people would I pass who knew she was sedated but didn't care enough to help her?

My trained expression may only reveal the unbothered facade that has been drilled into me over the years, but on the inside, I was dying. I needed answers, and my trigger finger was begging to get some action.

I was ready, so when the doors showed the first sign of movement, I began to execute the next part of my plan. Swinging around to grab where Lev Ivankov is hiding in the camera's blindspots, I pull him in front of me and shove him to his knees, a low curse falling from his gagged and bloody mouth. 

I'm able to count four men who walk outside, all with guns raised and pointed at me. I can't help but scoff at the insult. As if four men who look like they've never experienced true pain could handle me.

"Considering your little display of panic, I take it you know the significance of the man at my feet," I say, cocking my head mockingly. "Take me to Marcus and I won't be as tempted to put a bullet through your darling dearest Ivankov's head." 

Lev growls at my menacing tone, but I only shove the gun harder into his temple. He may have agreed to do this with me to help get the answers we needed, but that doesn't mean I trust him any more than I can throw him.