C h a p t e r 23

A/N: Hey everyone, I'm so excited to be back!! Today I will be uploading chapters 23 & 24, but now that it's summer you can expect new updates from me every 2-4 days. Because of this, there will no longer be the Saturday schedule I previously followed, and instead, I'm just going to write and post as frequently as I can! I hope everyone's having an amazing day, you deserve it ♡.

Content Warning: Thoughts and acts of self-destruction.

Chapter 23 : Madelyn 
Thursday, December 1st, 2022

My eyes felt slightly sore as I woke up this morning, but I knew that the reason for that was the tears that had fallen the night before.

I couldn't explain them, I had no excuse for them, but after what happened in the gym between Xavier and I, my heart got shot down with a rush of emotions I didn't know how to handle. 

My need for him had been so overwhelming I wish I could've stayed there forever, but the aftershocks hurt so goddamn bad I felt like I'd been knocked over from the blow of it all.

Being with Xavier had felt so right then, yet a sick feeling had washed over me after that I simply couldn't explain. 

I didn't regret it, but when I felt his body weight pressing against me, I started to have a panic attack I didn't want him to see. I don't know what about the way he held me triggered it, but what kind of a freak does that after receiving one of the best releases they've had all year? 

I was embarrassed and scared, and I couldn't handle the idea of breaking down with him there. 

Instead, I ran, but while I got into bed later that night and fell apart, in some weird sense, I didn't feel like I was alone. I couldn't explain it, but I felt like I was being held even in sleep—even in the darkest depths of my sorrow. 

This morning when I woke up, I still had that odd sensation prickling across my skin despite knowing I was alone based on the note I found at my door saying they'd all be back by dinner and that I was free to enjoy anything the house could offer. 

Alec, Caleb, and Xavier were all already out looking for Darmonio by the time I made my way downstairs, but dinner was a time I was both looking forward to and dreading. 

Last night made me realize that if this living arrangement was going to work, then I needed to make more of an effort to communicate with them when I could.

The truth is that there were a lot of secrets I needed to share and they needed to know, and dinner tonight was when it was going to happen. I was certain about it, because for some weird reason, my mind felt so much clearer today—like in a single night my shoulders stopped feeling so heavy. 

I couldn't tell if it was me, Xavier, or simply the fact I was actually able to sleep after my breakdown, but I felt a little more like myself right now.