C h a p t e r 15

A/N: Anyone have any favourite songs as of right now? I listen to all genres and I want something new to listen to. 

Chapter 15 : CalebMonday, November 28th, 2022

Chapter 15 : Caleb
Monday, November 28th, 2022

I was laying on the couch with my arm draped heavily over my eyes for the first time in weeks when I heard the front door slam open, swinging closed as a short, very angry woman stormed inside. 

I could only take a moment to sit up before a box was being thrown against my chest, the lid flying off along with the scatter of smashed trackers against the couch.

"Dov'è Alec!" Jolene fumed, her chest rising and falling angrily as though she were a bomb about to go off. 

I'd learned enough Italian in my time knowing Alec and Xavier to understand what she was saying, but even if I didn't, I could tell she was furious just by the entirety of the five seconds she's been here for. 

"Jo, I need you to take a breath." I say as fire burns in her eyes, wanting to calm her mind before her old heart gave out on her for how quickly I'm sure it was beating right now. When that fire only grew darker, I was able to piece together exactly why she was here, also meaning the three of us were in for one hell of a lecture. 

Just like when we were stupid, rebellious teenagers growing up together, Jolene was there to criticize us at the end of the day just as she would equally make sure we were all taken care of when it mattered. 

The pastries and food she sent over every Wednesday, even though we insisted we were eating just fine, was her way of caring, and right now was the other side of our relationship where she mothered us all until the sun goes down. 

"Take a breath?" She huffs, catching the sight of Alec now at the top of the stairs, Xavier walking out from the gym on the lower level when he saw the fuming woman in front of me. 

This was about to be bad, and none of us tried to soften the blow as their eyes caught on the trackers I'd begun to gather in my hand, putting them back in the small box almost robotically. 

"Sit." Jolene orders with no room for argument as she points to the couch I'm currently on, Xavier wiping some of the sweat from his face and tugging on the shirt that had been loosely hanging over the railing from earlier. 

"Madelyn came to you?" Alec asked before he even made it to the couch, concern lacing his voice at the question.

Jolene didn't answer, though, as she continued to point, waiting until all of us were sitting before she continued on the path she'd started on when she first saw me.  

Xavier sat to my left, Alec to my right, and before they could even settle, Jolene's mouth was parting. 

"Do I need to remind you boys of the promise I made as to what would happen if you ever hurt her?" She starts, making us wince at the memory of the threat I was beginning to fear would become true. Crossing my ankle over my opposite knee, I tried to relax so I could listen to what she had to say—information that was likely very important to hear despite the shaky start.