C h a p t e r 42

Chapter 42 : AlecTuesday, December 27th, 2022

Chapter 42 : Alec
Tuesday, December 27th, 2022

A chorus of groans ensue at the sound of my vibrating phone on the bedside table. Opening my eyes and reaching over to grab it, I instantly become more awake when I see the Caller ID. 

"Alecccc," Caleb groans as sleeping beauty himself tosses a pillow at my face. It's ignored as I throw off the covers and step out of the room, a quick glance at my clock telling me it's not even 4:00 AM yet. Business never has cared for rest.

 "Alec Sawyer speaking." Pressing the phone to my ear, a woman's voice soon fills the other line. 

"Mr. Sawyer, as per your request, I am calling to inform you of the results in relation to subject 00390. I'll give you a few minutes to situate yourself should it be necessary. Let me know when you're ready to proceed." 

Heading downstairs and into Caleb's office, I take a seat in his chair before grabbing a stray pen and paper.

This conversation has everything to do with Madelyn and the fact that Lev Ivankov dropped off a package for her two days ago with claims it was simply left on her old apartment's doorstep. 

I'm calling BS. 

"Please proceed," I confirm, and when I hear a shuffle at the door behind me, my heart stutters to see Madelyn there drowning in one of Xavier's t-shirts. "Come," I mouth silently while holding out my hand to her, hating what she's about to hear but knowing it was her right regardless.

Placing my phone down on the desk, I hit the speaker button so Madelyn can be a part of the conversation too. 

"As we expected, mixed DNA results were obtained from the various swabs we took, indicating the presence of DNA from at least four individuals; at least three males, at least one female." 

Madelyn was silent as she finally braved stepping into the room, shuffling to my side before I pulled her into my lap. As Maria, my hired forensic analyst, continued her report, I closed my eyes and kissed the side of her head, wishing I could take away the worry and confusion that marred her once rested expression. 

It was mere seconds before Caleb and Xavier joined us.

"On the box's exterior, the prints found were a match with those of Caleb Harris and Lev Ivankov. What's curious is that we also found small traces of DFO powder present on the box prior to our own attempts at detecting the latent fingerprints. This means—"

"Somebody did their own check for incriminating evidence prior to," I interrupt, the gears spinning in my brain damn near giving me a headache. 

It was too early for this. 

"Exactly," Maria confirms. "Whoever left you this box has a very perplexed mindset. Why take the time to remove any fingerprint evidence from the exterior when DNA evidence is intentionally left on the interior?"