Chapter 24: Happy Ending

NEWSIES: AND THE WORLD WILL KNOW, WE BEEN KEEPIN' SCORE EITHER THEY GIVE US OUR RIGHTS OR WE GIVE THEM A WAR WE BEEN DOWN TOO LONG, AND WE PAID OUR DUES
AND THE THINGS WE DO TODAY WILL BE TOMORROW'S NEWS. AND THE DIE IS CAST, AND THE TORCH IS PASSED

NEWSIES GROUP 1: AND A ROAR WILL RISE...

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ... FROM THE STREETS BELOW

NEWSIES GROUP 1: AND OUR RANKS WILL GROW

NEWSIES: AND GROW AND GROW AND GROW AND GROW AND GROW AND...

JACK: Newsies of New York City... we won!!! And now I'd like to introduce my pal, Governor Theodore Roosevelt himself!!!

ROOSEVELT: Each generation must, at the height of its power, step aside and invite the young to share the day. You have laid claim to our world and I believe the future, in your hands, will be bright and prosperous. And your drawings, son, have brought another matter to bear. Officers, if you please.

RACE: Hey lookit, Jack. It's Crutchie!

NEWSIES: Crutchie!

CRUTCHIE: Hiya, fellas. Do you miss me?

NEWSIES: Yeah!

CRUTCHIE: And lookit what I got yis: straight from The Refuge. Bring him in, fellas!

RACE: It's Snyder the Spider!

MUSH: He ain't lookin' so tough no more, is he?

ROOSEVELT: Jack, with these drawings you made an eloquent argument for shutting down The Refuge. Be assured that Mr. Snyder's abuses will be fully investigated. Officer, take him away.

CRUTCHIE: Please, Your Highness... may I do the honors?

SNYDER: You've got to be joking.

CRUTCHIE: And you'll be laughing to the pen, "little man."

JACK: Thank you, Governor.

PULITZER: I can't help thinking... if one of your drawings convinced the governor to close The Refuge, what might a daily political cartoon do they expose the dealings in our government back rooms? What do you say, Teddy? Care to have this young man's artistry shine a lantern behind your closed doors?

JACK: Don't sweat it, Gov. With the strike settled, I probably should be hitting the road.

DAVEY: Don't you ever get tired of singing that same old tune? What's Santa Fe got that New York ain't? Tarantulas?

KATHERINE: Better yet: what's New York got that Santa Fe ain't?

CRUTCHIE: New York's got us. And we're family.

PULITZER: Didn't I hear something about a strike being settled?

WIESEL: Papes for the Newsies. Line up, boys. These papes ain't gonna sell themselves.

MEDDA: Come along, Governor, and show me that back seat I've been hearing so much about.

KATHERINE: Well don't just stand there, you've got a union to run. Besides, didn't someone just offer you a pretty exciting job?

JACK: I work for your father?

KATHERINE: You already work for my father.

JACK: Oh, yeah.

KATHERINE: And you've got one more ace up your sleeve.

JACK: What would that be?

KATHERINE: Me. Wherever you go, I'll be right there by your side.

JACK: For sure?

KATHERINE: For sure.

JACK: DON'T TAKE MUCH TO BE A DREAMER. ALL YOU DO IS CLOSE YOUR EYES. BUT SOME MADE-UP WORLD IS ALL YOU EVER SEE NOW MY EYES IS FINALLY OPEN. AND MY DREAMS, THEY'RE AVERAGE SIZE BUT THEY DON'T MUCH MATTER IF YOU AIN'T WITH ME

He grabbed her and neither pulled away for at least a minute.

LES: Guys!

DAVEY: Well, Jack... you in or you out?

COMPANY: WE'LL ALL BE OUT THERE CARRYING THE BANNER MAN TO MAN! WE'RE ALWAYS OUT THERE, SOAKIN' EV'RY SUCKER THAT WE CAN. HERE'S THE HEADLINE: NEWSIES ON A MISSION! KILL THE COMPETITION! SELL THE NEXT EDITION! WE'LL BE OUT THERE CARRYING THE BANNER! SEE US OUT THERE CARRYING THE BANNER! ALWAYS OUT THERE CARRYING THE BANNER! LOOK AT ME: I'M THE KING OF NEW YORK! SUDDENLY I'M RESPECTABLE, STARIN' RIGHT AT'CHA, LOUSY WITH STA'CHA. GLORY BE! I'M THE KING OF NEW YORK! VICTORY! FRONTPAGE STORY GUTS AND GLORY I'M THE KING...OF NEW YORK!

THE END!