Chapter 19: That's The Bottom Line Reprise

MAYOR: ...but I've read your editorials, Mr. Pulitzer. How can you express so much sympathy for the trolley workers and yet have none for the Newsies?

PULITZER: Because the trolley workers are striking for a fair contract. The Newsies are striking against me!

Cause what you're doing is unfair! Thought Katherine.

MAYOR: I'd spare you the embarrassment if I could, but Miss Medda's Theater is private property.

BUNSEN: He can't order a raid without legal cause.

PULITZER: Mr. Mayor, would the fact that this rally is organized by an escaped convict be enough to shut it down?

MAYOR: An escaped convict?

PULITZER: A fugitive from one of your institutions. A convicted thief, at large, reeking mischief on our law-abiding community. Mr. Snyder, which one is he?

Only because he was trying to take care of the Newsies!

SNYDER: That one there: Jack Kelly.

MAYOR: And how do you know this boy?

SNYDER: He is not a pleasant story. He was the first sentence to my Refuge for loitering and vagrancy, but his total disregard for authority has made him a frequent visitor.

MAYOR: You called him a thief and escaped convict.

SNYDER: After his release I caught him myself, red-handed, trafficking stolen food and clothing. He was last sentenced to six months, but the willful ruffian escaped.

He's only trying to feed the Newsies! Katherine suddenly remembered something Jack had said.

"It ain't no crime being poor!"

She wished she could remember everything else he'd said.

PULITZER: So you'd be doing the city a service removing this criminal from our streets.
MAYOR: If that's the case, we can take him in quietly and—

No!

PULITZER:  What good would quiet do me??? I want a public example made of him!!!

No!

HANNAH: Mr. Pulitzer- the boy, Jack Kelly, is here.

PULITZER: Here?

HANNAH: Just outside. He's asked to see you.

Is he trying to get himself caught? Boys could be so stupid sometimes.

PULITZER: Ask and ye shall be received. Mr. Snyder, if you please. Sit.

Oh no.

HANNAH: Mr. Jack Kelly.

JACK: Afternoon, boys...

PULITZER: And which Jack Kelly is this? The charismatic union organizer, or the petty thief and escaped convict?

JACK: Which one gives us more in common?

PULITZER: Impudence is in bad taste when crawling for mercy.

JACK: Crawlin'? That's a laugh, I just dropped by with an invite. Seems a few hundred of your employees are rallying to discuss recent disagreements. I thought it only fair to invite you to state your case straight to the fellas. So what d'ya say, Joe? Want I should save you a spot on the bill?

PULITZER: You are as shameless and disrespectful a creature as I was told. Do you know what I was doing when I was your age, boy? I was fighting in a war.

JACK: Yeah? How'd that turn out for ya?

PULITZER: It taught me a lesson that shaped my life. You don't win a war on the battlefield. It's the headline that crowns the victor.

JACK: I'll keep that in mind when New York wakes up to front-page photos of our rally.

PULITZER: Rally till the cows come home. Not a paper in town will publish a word. And if it's not in the papers, it never happened.

JACK: You may run this city, but some of us can't be bullied. Even some reporters...

PULITZER: Such as that young woman who made you yesterday's news? Talented girl. And beautiful as well, don't you think?

JACK: I'll tell her you said so.

PULITZER: No need. She can hear for herself. Can't you, darling? I trust you know my daughter, Katherine. Yes. My daughter. You are probably asking, why the nom de plume and why doesn't my daughter work for me? Good questions. I offered Katherine a life of wealth and leisure. Instead, she chose to pursue a career. And she was showing real promise, until this recent lapse. But you're done with all of that now, are you, sweetheart

KATHERINE: Jack, I—

PULITZER: Don't trouble the boy with your problems, dearest. Mr. Kelly has a plateful of his own. Wouldn't you say so, Mr. Snyder?

No!

SNYDER: Hello, Jack.

PULITZER: Does anyone else feel a noose tightening? But allow me to offer an alternate scenario: you attend the rally and speak against this hopeless strike, and I'll see your criminal record expunged and your pockets filled with enough cash to carry you, in a first-class train compartment, from New York to New Mexico and beyond. You did say he wanted to travel west, didn't you?

JACK: There ain't a person in this room who don't know you stink.

PULITZER: And if they know me, they know I don't care. Mark my words, boy. Defy me, and I will have you and every one of your friends locked up in The Refuge. I know you're Mr. Tough Guy, but it's not right to condemn that little crippled boy to conditions like that. And what about your pal Davey and his baby brother, ripped from their loving family and tossed to the rats? Will they ever be able to thank you enough? TIME'S RUNNING OUT, KID SO WHAT DO YOU SAY? COWBOY OR CONVICT, I WIN EITHER WAY! YOUR ABJECT SURRENDER WAS ALWAYS THE BOTTOM LINE! Gentlemen, escort our guest to the cellar so he might reflect in solitude. TOO BAD YOU'VE NO JOB, JACK, BUT YOU DID RESIGN TOO BAD YOU'VE NO FAMILY, BUT YOU CAN'T HAVE MINE BE GLAD YOU'RE ALIVE, BOY- I'D SAY THAT'S THE BOTTOM LINE

SEITZ: LIKE THE PIED PIPER YOU KNEW WHAT TO PLAY

PULITZER: TILL THOSE KIDS ALL BELIEVED YOU WERE RIGHT

BUNSEN: LUCKY FOR THEM ALL BUT ONE GOT AWAY

PULITZER: THEY MAY NOT BE SO LUCKY TONIGHT

In the cellar, there was a printing press. The Newsies needed a way to spread the word about the rally. This printing press might be old, but he knew with Bill and Darcy's skills, that they'd make it work. That gave Morris an idea.

MORRIS: We have been given the discretion to handle you as we see fit, so behave.

OSCAR: But, just in case, I been polishin' my favorite brass knuckles.

MORRIS: You can sleep right here on this old printing press.

He pointed it out so that Jack would hopefully get the idea.