Chapter 2: Backstory

Hello, fancies welcome to another chapter! I hope you enjoy it and are at least on the verge of tears by the time you finish the chapter.

Hey! It's me Oscar again. So now that you know about my life, who I live with and work for, and what my job is. I thought I should give you some backstory. So the last chapter I told you how Mr. Wiesel is LIKE  a father to me but ISNT my father. I thought I should tell you what happened to my parents. My mom loved me, Morris, and my father more than anything. We hardly fought with each other, we enjoyed each other and had fun together. We weren't rich, but we made enough to be happy. Life was perfect back then. BACK THEN. Back WHEN? My preschool days. My mother died from smallpox when I was only five years old and Morris was six. It wrecked my father. We continued living with him for two years. For the first six months, father was just isolated and distant but did his best to take care of us. That's when Morris and I started going to public school. It wasn't so bad. We both made friends and often went over to their house so the father could have more time alone and work as late as we needed to. The first six months after mother's death, father still spent time with us on the weekends catching up with us, asking about school, teachers, assignments, and friends. The second six months after mother died weren't as good. Father became even more distant. Father woke up early to visit their mother's grave, then went to work late into the night. His Saturdays were filled with him catching up on sleep. Sundays he stayed locked up in his bedroom. Morris and I started getting lonely. Yes we had friends, and we knew their parents were there for us if we needed anything, but your friends' parents just weren't as good as having your own. It was bad enough they had lost their mother to death, now it seemed they were losing their father to grief. It hurt the brothers to see their father like this and more than that, they felt like their father was neglecting them. they started to get lonely without their parents and soon started to get jealous of their friends who still had parents who hadn't neglected them. A year passed by. Now Morris was seven and Oscar was six. Their Father was still neglecting them, but their friends' parents took care of them, but the brothers missed their parents and just wanted them back. The brothers started getting jealous and took it out on the friends they'd made the year before. Their friends knew something was up and first let it slide, but when it kept getting worse every day they had to do something so they asked what was wrong.

"Hey, Oscar."

"Yeah?"

"Something's been off about you lately. What's wrong?" David, Oscar's best friend at school confronted him one day.

"What! Nothing's wrong! Why would you think that?"

"Is it your father or did we do something wrong?"

"No."

"Then what?"

"Jealous."

"Of who?"

"You have parents."

"You have a dad!"

"Yeah, an extremely distant and neglecting one!"

"Well, I'm sorry! I can't help that your father is too busy grieving over your dead mother to care about anyone but himself!"

That was a punch in the gut to Oscar. He couldn't do this anymore. He couldn't continue being around kids who had parents when he didn't. The next day when David tried to talk to him, he just ignored him. That was the first year and a half. Now that Oscar and Morris had no friends they had nowhere to go but home after school and on the weekends. Their father seemed very annoyed and upset with them about it, so he finally decided to talk to them about it.

"Boys, why are y'all home all the time? How are y'alls friends? Ya know like David and the rest of them."

"Said rude things about you and mom so we ditched them," Oscar answered.

"What kind of things?"

"Well, David said these exact words about you, 'Well, I'm sorry! I can't help that your father is too busy grieving over your dead mother to care about anyone but himself!'"

Oscar felt something slam into his cheek and then pain. After a moment he realized his father had slapped him. Tears were threatening to spill.

"HE HAD NO RIGHT TO SAY THAT! YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO TELL ME THAT!"

"B-but y-you a-asked," Oscar trembled in fear of his father. For he'd never been struck like that before.

"SILENCE BOY! I should've given y'all up to the orphanage long ago. Y'ALL SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN BORN! YOU HEAR ME?"

Both the boys were fighting tears at this point. The next moment their father started hitting them with rods with no mercy.

"OH AND NO DINNER FOR YOU TONIGHT!"

Their father then retreated into his bedroom. By the time their father had finished beating them Oscar who was only six was passed out on the wooden kitchen floor, bleeding and bruised. Morris was still conscious, but barely. He was also bleeding and bruised. He didn't know what to do. For now, he decided he and Oscar should just go to their room, and leave for school extra early tomorrow to get away from their abusive father. Morris half carried half dragged his brother to their room and laid him on the bed they shared. He changed into his night clothes, climbed into bed, and cried himself to sleep.

Hello readers I'm back. Still don't have a name for myself. whew! That was longer than I expected! I would keep going but seeing as I'm getting close to 1000 words I decided to end here and pick up in the next chapter. Do I have you in tears yet? If, so, good! If not, don't worry you'll have more chances to cry! Sadly the physical abuse doesn't end here and lasts at least six months before it stops. Also, remember Oscar's bbfs name cause it might be important for later! It's still the same day that I wrote the 1st chapter. I started this chapter a little after one am and now it's almost two-thirty. Don't worry I don't need sleep. I'm not tired. I promise I'll take a break once I get tired. Also, it's almost two thirty in the morning and I still have my contacts in, haven't washed my face to get makeup off nor brush my teeth. I'll do it before I decide to sleep. I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I'll see you next chapter! I'm also about to take at least a two-hour break to go do those things listed above and then watch a movie or musical then depending on how I'm feeling write more. It's now 3 am so ima sleeping. I was gonna watch Newsies but I realized that the movie and musical are both two hours long. If started now it'd be five by the time I went to sleep and I promised my BFF that I'd sleep before then. So goodnight!

- Authoress out!