Chapter 9: The Theater

KATHERINE'S POV:

I had private balcony seats with a great view! Plus this was a private box, so no one could bother me. Miss Medda was the star of the show at this theater and tonight The Bowery Beauties were going on after her. The show was about to start.

EMCEE: Miss Medda, you're on!

MEDDA: I am? How'm I doin'? Boys, lock the door and stay all night. You're with Medda now!

She saw Jack, some other guy, and some kid. What were they doing here? There was no way Jack could afford this.

EMCEE: Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the star of our show... Miss Medda Larkin!

MEDDA: I'M DOING ALL RIGHT FOR MYSELF FOLKS: I'M HEALTHY, I'M WEALTHY, I BEING WISE. MY INVESTMENTS AND SUCH HAVE ALL GONE UP SO MUCH- SEEMS WHATEVER I TOUCH STARTS TO RISE. I'VE BEEN ALL KINDS OF LUCKY AND YET THE THING I WANT MOST...I CAN'T GET IT.  I LIVE IN A MANSION ON LONG ISLAND SOUND. I PULLED UP A WEED, THEY FOUND OIL IN THE GROUND.
BUT YOU TELLING ME YOU DON'T WANT ME AROUND-NOW, HONEY, THAT'S RICH. SOME GUYS GIVE ME ERMINE, CHINCHILLA, AND MINK AND GIVE ME DIAMONDS AS BIG AS A SINK, BUT YOU WOULDN'T GIVE ME AS MUCH AS A WINK-NOW, BABY, THAT'S RICH. I GET BRANDY FROM ANDY AND CANDY FROM SCOTT. OH, AND FRANK AND EDUARDO CHIPPED IN FOR A YACHT. I GET STARES FROM THE FELLAS AND PRAYERS FROM THE POPE, BUT I RAN OUT OF MY LUCK GETTING STUCK WITH SOME DOPE! Oh, honey, I was just talking about you! NOW, LISTEN, SPORT, THIS LIFE'S TOO SHORT TO WASTE IT ON YOU. IT MAY BE ROUGH, BUT SOON ENOUGH I'LL LEARN TO MAKE DO...WITH
THE MANSION, THE OIL WELL, THE DIAMONDS, THE YACHT, WITH ANDY, EDUARDO, THE PONTIFF, AND SCOTT AND FRANK. AND MY BANK! SO SPILL NO TEARS FOR ME, 'CAUSE THERE'S ONE THING YOU AIN'T THAT I'LL ALWAYS BE, AND HONEY, YEAH, THAT'S RIGHT, THAT'S RICH! THAT'S RICH! THAT'S RICH! That's rich! And now, gents, let's have a big hand for the Bowery Beauties!

Miss Medda was an amazing performer! Katherine would leave a good review for her. Now time to see how good The Bowery Beauties were. She hoped she wouldn't have to give them a bad review. Not at Medda's show.

BOWERY BEAUTIES: DON'T COME A-KNOCKING ON MY DOOR

JACK: Well, hello again.

What was he doing up here? How did he even get in?

KATHERINE: This is a private box.

JACK: Want I should lock the door? Twice in one day. Think its fate?

Oh. I didn't lock the door. Fate? Maybe, but did he seriously have to do this here in the middle of a show?

KATHERINE: Go away. I'm working.

JACK: A working girl, huh? Doin' what?

KATHERINE: Reviewing the show for the New York Sun.

JACK: Hey! I work for the World.

KATHERINE: Somewhere out there someone cares. Go tell them.

Ok, now I'd know where to find him.

JACK: The view's better here.

KATHERINE: Please go. I am not in the habit of speaking to strangers.

True, but she just wanted to watch the show without distractions so she could give her review accurately.

JACK: Then you're gonna make a lousy reporter. The name's Jack Kelly.

KATHERINE: Is that what it says on your rap sheet?

JACK: A smart girl. I admire smart girls. Beautiful. Smart. Independent.

KATHERINE: Do you mind!?

Wow! He thought I was beautiful, smart, and independent! She couldn't let him know that she was truly flattered.

MEDDA: You got in for free. At least pay attention.

JACK: Sorry Medda.

Finally, he was quiet and let her watch the show in peace. He sat in a chair closer to the door and the back of the railing. He only cared about Miss Medda.

BOWERY BEAUTIES: DON'T COME A KNOCKING ON MY DOOR. YOU AREN'T WELCOME HERE NO MORE. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN YOU STUNK LIKE YESTERDAY'S TRASH THE NIGHT YOU STOLE MY HEART PLUS FORTY DOLLARS IN CASH. TURNS OUT MY BEAU IS JUST SOME BUM. TURNS OUT THAT LOVE AIN'T BLIND, IT'S DUMB. YOU NEVER TOLD THE TRUTH OR WORKED A DAY IN YOUR LIFE. YOU'RE SO REVOLTIN', I FEEL BAD FOR YOUR WIFE.

She glanced at Jack. It looked like he was drawing something on a newspaper. He had also been humming along to the music. So he had been listening to the girls sing but didn't watch for choreography. Interesting.

KATHERINE: What are you doing?

JACK: Quiet down. There's a show going on.

KATHERINE: You are the most impossible boy-

JACK: Shhh!

KATHERINE: Ever.

He was.

BOWERY BEAUTIES: I WON'T BE SHAVING YOUR BACK ANYMORE, NO, SENOR. DON'T COME A-KNOCKING ON MY DOOR! DON'T COME A-KNOCKING ON MY DOOR! DON'T COME A-KNOCKING ON MY DOOR!

The Bowery Beauties were good, but Medda was better. She'd be leaving a good review. Jack put the newspaper with the drawing on it in the chair he'd been sitting in and left. She picked up the paper and studied the drawing. She was surprised. He had drawn her! Wow, he was good!