Chapter 22: Once and For All

NEWSIES: NOW IS THE TIME TO SEIZE THE DAY STARE DOWN THE ODDS AND SEIZE THE DAY MINUTE BY MINUTE, THAT'S HOW YOU WIN IT. WE WILL FIND A WAY, BUT LET US SEIZE THE DAY.

KATHERINE: I'll get the lights. You get those windows unlocked.

JACK: You got enough keys here for the entire building. Has someone been picking daddy's pockets?

KATHERINE: The janitor's been working here since he was eight years old and hasn't had a raise in twenty years. He's with us one-hundred percent.

JACK: You bring enough fellas to keep us covered?

DAVEY: We could hold a hoe-down in here and no one would be the wiser.

JACK: Good job.

DAVEY: It's good to have you back again.

JACK: Shut up.

KATHERINE: Here she is, boys. Just think, while my father snores blissfully in his bed, we will be using his very own press to bring him down.

JACK: Remind me to stay on your good side.

RACE: Is this what they print the papes on?

DARCY: I can see why they tossed this old girl down to the cellar, but I think she will do the job.

KATHERINE: Jack, this is Darcy. He knows just about everything there is to know about printing.

JACK: You work for one of the papes?

DARCY: My father owns the Trib.

JACK: Whoa!

KATHERINE: And this is Bill. He'll be typesetting the article for us.

JACK: Bill? So I suppose you're the son of William Randolph Hearst?

BILL: And proud to be part of your revolution!

JACK: Ain't that somethin'?

KATHERINE: You already know the Delancey Brothers-

JACK: What are they doin here!?

I prepare to attack but Katherine holds me back.

KATHERINE: They're on our side! Always have been! Just couldn't do anything obvious in front of my father or Mr. Wiesel or they'd get beat bad.

JACK: What have they ever done for us?

KATHERINE: Morris protected Crutchie while at The Refuge and gave you the idea to use this very printing press.

JACK: Oh.

He was starting to remember.

MORRIS: We have been given the discretion to handle you as we see fit, so behave.                                       

OSCAR: But, just in case, I been polishin' my favorite brass knuckles.

MORRIS: You can sleep right here on this old printing press. Now that there is a firm.

JACK: I'm sorry. Thank you for protecting Crutchie and the idea, but it's just hard for me to trust people who have hurt me or my friends.

The Delancey's nodded in understanding.

KATHERINE: In the words of the little one, "Can we table the palaver and get down to business?"

DARCY: A little grease and she'll be good as gold.

BILL: Great! Let's get to work.

DAVEY: All right. Here's how it'll work: as we print the papes, Race, you'll let the fellas in and they'll spread them to every workin' kid in New York. After that...?

JACK: After that, it's up to them. THERE'S CHANGE COMIN' ONCE AND FOR ALL. YOU MAKE THE FRONT PAGE, AND MAN, YOU ARE MAJOR NEWS.

JACK &

DAVEY: TOMORROW THEY'LL SEE WHAT WE ARE,

JACK, DAVEY & KATHERINE: AND SURE AS STAR, WE AIN'T COME THIS FAR...TO LOSE!

RACE: Here they come!

NEWSIES: THIS IS THE STORY WE NEEDED TO WRITE THAT'S BEEN KEPT OUT OF SIGHT, BUT NO MORE! IN A FEW HOURS, BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT WE'LL BE READY TO FIGHT A WAR. THIS TIME WE'RE IN IT TO STAY. TALK ABOUT SEIZING THE DAY!

JACK: WRITE IT IN INK OR BLOOD, IT'S THE SAME EITHER WAY: THEY'RE GONNA HAVE TO PAY!

NEWSIES: SEE OL'MAN PULITZER SNUG IN HIS BED, HE DOESN'T CARE IF WE'RE DEAD OR ALIVE.
THREE SATIN PILLOWS ARE UNDER HIS HEAD WHILE WE'RE BEGGIN' FOR BREAD TO SURVIVE. JOE, YOU CAN STOP COUNTIN' SHEEP. WE'RE GONNA SING YA TO SLEEP. YOU GOT YOUR THUGS WITH THEIR STICKS AND THEIR SLUGS! YEAH! BUT WE GOT A PROMISE TO KEEP.

JACK: ONCE AND FOR ALL, IF THEY DON'T MIND THEIR MANNERS WE'LL BLEED 'EM!

NEWSIES: BLEED 'EM!

RACE: ONCE AND FOR ALL WE WON'T CARRY NO BANNERS THAT DON'T SPELL

NEWSIES: "FREEDOM!" FINALLY, WE'RE RAISIN' THE STAKES, THIS TIME WHATEVER IT TAKES, THIS TIME THE UNION AWAKES, ONCE AND FOR ALL!

KATHERINE: "In the words of union leader Jack Kelly, 'We will work with you. We will even work for you. But we will be paid and treated as valuable members of your organizations.'" Riveting stuff, huh

JACK: Get going. You've got a very important man to see.

KATHERINE: Keep your fingers crossed.

JACK: For us, too.

NEWSIES: THIS IS FOR KIDS SHININ' SHOES ON THE STREET WITH NO SHOES ON THEIR FEET EVERY DAY. THIS IS FOR GUYS SWEATIN' BLOOD IN THE SHOPS WHILE THE BOSSES AND COPS LOOK AWAY. I'M SEEIN' KIDS STANDIN' TALL, GLARING AND RARIN' TO BRAWL, ARMIES OF GUYS WHO ARE SICK OF THE LIES GETTIN' READY TO RISE TO THE CALL! ONCE AND FOR ALL THERE'LL BE BLOOD ON THE WALL IF THEY DOUBT US. THEY THINK THEY'RE RUNNING THIS TOWN BUT THIS TOWN WILL SHUT DOWN WITHOUT US!

NEWSIES GROUP 1: TEN THOUSAND KIDS IN THE SQUARE!

NEWSIES GROUP 2: TEN THOUSAND KIDS IN THE SQUARE

NEWSIES GROUP 1: TEN THOUSAND FISTS IN THE AIR!

NEWSIES GROUP 2: TEN THOUSAND FISTS!

NEWSIES: JOE YOU IS GONNA PLAY FAIR, ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES GROUP 1: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES GROUP 1: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES GROUP 1: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES: THERE'S CHANGE COMING ONCE AND FOR ALL YOU'RE GETTING TOO OLD, TOO WEAK TO KEEP HOLDIN' ON. A NEW WORLD IS GUNNIN' FOR YOU, AND JOE WE ARE TOO, TILL ONCE AND FOR ALL, YOU'RE GONE!

DAVEY: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

JACK: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

DAVEY, RACE, SPOT, MIKE, IKE, & MUSH: ONCE AND FOR ALL!

NEWSIES: ONCE AND FOR ALL!