Chapter 11: Katherine

Katherine's POV:

I had gone to get coffee with Bill and Darcy again before I started work, and on the way home the Newsies were singing something.

"What's going on?" I ask The Delancey's.

"The Newsies say they are going on strike," Morris answered.

"This should be interesting! I could get a story out of this that'll make or break my career! I'll catch up with y'all at dinner!"

She followed behind the Newsies to the deli making sure they didn't see her. She didn't enter the deli until after Newsies got done exiting one by one. She entered quietly and stayed back in the shadows so that they wouldn't notice her until she was ready.

JACK: And who wants Brooklyn? C'mon. Brooklyn. Spot Conlon's turf. Finch, you tellin' me you're scared of Brooklyn?

FINCH: I ain't scared of no turf. But that Spot Conlon got me a little jittery.

JACK: Fine. I and Davey will take Brooklyn.

DAVEY: Me? I have to...

I make my entrance.

KATHERINE: Why's everyone so scared of Brooklyn?

JACK: What're you doin' here?

KATHERINE: Asking a question. Have you got an answer?

JACK: Brooklyn is the sixth largest city in the entire world. You got Brooklyn, you hit the mother load. Say, For someone who works for the New York Sun, you spend an awful lot of time hanging around at the World. So, what's that about? You followin' me?

Yes, I was kind of following him, but also there was a story.

KATHERINE: The only thing I'm following is a story. A rag-tag gang of ragamuffins wants to take on the kingmakers of New York. Think you have a chance?

JACK: Shouldn't you be at the ballet?

KATHERINE: Question too difficult? I'll rephrase: will the richest and most powerful men in New York give the time of day to a gang of kids who haven't got a nickel to their name?

CRUTCHIE: You don't gotta be insultin'. I got a nickel.

Crutchie. Little cinnamon roll.

KATHERINE: So I guess you'd say you're a couple of Davids looking to take on Goliath?

DAVEY: We never said that.

KATHERINE: You didn't have to. I did.

JACK: I have seen a lot of papers in my time and I ain't never noted any girl reporters writing hard news.

She was a little offended by that. Why did guys always underestimate her and Hannah? The only guys who hadn't underestimated her so far had been The Delancey's who liked women a lot more than guys because guys had been so mean to them during childhood but they would never forget their strong, loving mother.

KATHERINE: Wake up to the new century. The game's changing. How about an exclusive interview?

JACK: Ain't your beat entertainment?

KATHERINE: This is entertaining... so far.

It was.

JACK: What's the last news story you wrote?

KATHERINE: What's the last strike you organized?

ROMEO: You're out of your league, Kelly. Methinks the lady needs to be handled by a real man.

KATHERINE: You think wrong, Romeo.

ROMEO: How'd she know my name?

JACK: Oh, get outta here!

Romeo was kinda stupid.

DAVEY: I say we save any exclusive for a real reporter.

I was offended by that too.

KATHERINE: do You see anybody else giving you the time of day? Alright, so I'm just busting out of the social pages. But you give me the exclusive, let me run with the story, and I promise you I'll get you the space.

CRUTCHIE: You think we could be in the papes?

KATHERINE: Shut down a paper like the World and you're going to make the front page.

JACK: You want a story? Be in front of the circulation gate tomorrow morning and you'll get one. And bring a camera. You're gonna wanna snap a picture of dis.

MR. JACOBI: Let's go, boys, play outside. I gotta set up for dinner. I got payin' customers to need tables.

FINCH: C'mon. We got Newsies to visit.

RACE: You won't be shooin' us off when we get our mugs in the papes!

NEWSIES: AND THE WORLD WILL KNOW, WE BEEN KEEPIN' SCORE. EITHER THEY GIVE US OUR RIGHTS OR WE GIVE THEM A WAR WE'VE BEEN DOWN TOO LONG, AND WE PAID OUR DUES. AND THE THINGS WE DO TODAY WILL BE TOMORROW'S NEWS. AND THE DIE IS CAST, AND THE TORCH IS PASSED.

NEWSIES GROUP 1: AND A ROAR WILL RISE...

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ...FROM THE STREETS BELOW,

NEWSIES GROUP 1: AND OUR RANKS WILL GROW...

NEWSIES GROUP 2: ...AND GROW

NEWSIES GROUP 1: AND GROW

NEWSIES: AND SO THE WORLD WILL FEEL THE FIRE AND FINALLY KNOW!

DAVEY: Come on, Les. The folks are waiting.

KATHERINE: So, what's your story? Are you selling newspapers to work your way through art school?

JACK: Art school? Are you kiddin' me?

KATHERINE: But you're an artist. You've got real talent. You should be inside the paper illustrating, not outside hawking it.

She meant it too. If she became a professional reporter, then maybe she and Jack could work together. I could write stories and he could bring them to life with his drawings.

JACK: Maybe that ain't what I want.

KATHERINE: So tell me what you want.

JACK: Can't you see it in my eyes?

She could. He wanted her.

KATHERINE: Yeah, ok...Have you always been their leader?

JACK: I'm a blowhard. Davey's the brains.

KATHERINE: Modesty is not a quality I would have pinned on you.

JACK: You got a name?

KATHERINE: Katherine... Plumber.

What would he say if he knew I was related to Joseph Pulitzer?

JACK: What's the matter? Ain't ya sure?

KATHERINE: It's my byline, the name I publish under. Tell me about tomorrow. What are you hoping for?

JACK: I'd rather tell you what I'm hoping for tonight.

Me, she knew he wanted her. At least, she hoped he did.

KATHERINE: Mr. Kelly....space

JACK: Today we stopped our Newsies from carrying out papes, but the wagons still delivered to the rest of the city. Tomorrow, we stop the wagons.

KATHERINE: Are you scared?

JACK: Do I look scared? But ask me again in the morning.

KATHERINE: Good answer. Good night, Mr. Kelly.

JACK: Come on, where you runnin'? It ain't even supper time!

KATHERINE: I'll see you in the morning. Off the record. Good luck.

JACK: Hey hey Plumber! Write it well. We both got a lot riding on you.