Chapter 21: Jatherine

KATHERINE: That was some speech you made.

JACK: How'd you get here?

Why was she here? Who let her in and why? Why was she going through my stuff? It angered me even more.

KATHERINE: Specs showed me.

JACK: He says you could go through my stuff?

KATHERINE: I saw them rolled up, sticking out of there. I didn't know what they were. These drawings...? These are drawings of The refuge, aren't they? is this what it's like in there: three boys to a bed, rats everywhere, and vermin?

Why did she care?

JACK: A little different from where you were raised?

KATHERINE: Snyder told my father you were arrested stealing food and clothing. This is why, isn't it? You stole to feed those boys. I don't understand. If you were willing to go to jail for those boys, how could you turn your back on them now?

JACK: I don't think you're anyone to talk about turning on folks.

KATHERINE: I never turned on you or anyone else.

Are you sure about that?

JACK: No. You just double-crossed us to your father. Your father!

KATHERINE: My father has eyes on every corner of this city. He doesn't need me spying for him. And I never lied I didn't tell you everything...

JACK: If you weren't a girl you'd be trying to talk with a fist in your mouth.

KATHERINE: I said that I worked for the Sun, and I did. I told you my professional name was Plumber, and it is. You never asked my real one.

JACK: I wouldn't think I had to unless I knew I was dealing with a backstabber.

KATHERINE: And if I was a boy, you'd be looking at me through one swollen eye.

JACK: Don't let that stop ya. Gimme your best shot.

She grabbed my face and unexpectedly kisses me. We pull away after a moment and then I try to kiss her again, but she doesn't allow it.

KATHERINE: I need to know you didn't cave for the money.

JACK: I spoke the truth. You win a fight when you got the other fella down the eatin' pavement. You heard your father. No matter how many days we strike, he ain't givin' up. I don't know what else we can do.

KATHERINE: Ah. But I do.

JACK: Oh, come one...

KATHERINE: Really, Jack? Really? Only you can have a good idea. Or is it because I'm a girl?

Seriously, why did everyone underestimate her just because she was a girl? It was so annoying!

JACK: I said nothin'...

KATHERINE: This would be a good time to shut up. Being the boss doesn't mean you have all the answers. Just the brains to recognize the right one when you hear it.

JACK: I'm listening.

KATHERINE: Good for you. The strike was your idea. The rally was Davey's. and now my plan will take us to the finish line. Deal with it.

JACK: "The Children's Crusade"?

KATHERINE: "For the sake of all the kids in every sweatshop, factory, and slaughterhouse in New York. I beg you...join us." With those words, the strike stopped being just about the Newsies. You challenged our whole generation to stand up and demand a place at the table.

JACK: "The Children's Crusade"???

KATHERINE: Think, Jack, if we publish this- my words with one of your drawings- and if every worker under twenty-one read it and stayed home from work... or better yet, came to Newsie Square- a general city-wide strike! Even my father couldn't ignore that.

JACK: Only one small problem: we got no way to print it.

KATHERINE: Come on, there has to be one printing press he doesn't control.

JACK: Oh no.

KATHERINE: What?

JACK: I know where there's a printing press that no one would ever think we'd use.

KATHERINE: Then why are we still standing here?

JACK: Wait. Stop. What's this about for you? I don't mean "The Children's Crusade." What's this about? Am I kiddin' myself or is there something...

KATHERINE: Of course there is.

JACK: Well don't say it like this happens every day!

KATHERINE: Oh, Jack...

JACK: I'm not an idiot. I know girls like you don't wind up with guys like me. And I want you promisin' nothin' you gotta take back later. But standing here tonight... lookin' at you... I'm scared tomorrow's gonna come and change everything. If there was a way I could grab hold of something to make time stop. Just so I could keep looking at you.

KATHERINE: You snuck up on me, Jack Kelly. I never even saw it coming.

JACK: For sure?

KATHERINE: For sure. TIL THE MOMENT I FOUND YOU, I THOUGHT I KNEW WHAT LOVE WAS. NOW I'M LEARNING WHAT IS TRUE, THAT LOVE WILL DO WHAT IT DOES. THE WORLD FINDS WAYS TO STING YOU AND THEN ONE DAY, DECIDES TO BRING YOU SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN FOR EVEN A NIGHT. ONE NIGHT MAY BE FOREVER, BUT THAT'S ALRIGHT, THAT'S ALRIGHT. AND IF YOU'RE GONE TOMORROW, WHAT WAS OURS STILL WILL BE. I HAVE SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN,
NOW THAT I KNOW YOU BELIEVED IN ME.

JACK: WE WERE NEVER MEANT TO MEET, AND THEN WE MEET, WHO KNOWS WHY. ONE MORE STRANGER ON THE STREET. JUST SOMEONE SWEET PASSIN' BY. AN ANGEL COME TO SAVE ME,
WHO DIDN'T EVEN KNOW SHE GAVE ME SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN FOR EVEN A DAY. ONE DAY MAY BE FOREVER, BUT THAT'S OKAY, THAT'S OKAY. AND IF I'M GONE TOMORROW, WHAT WAS OURS STILL WILL BE. I HAVE SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN, NOW THAT I KNOW YOU BELIEVED IN ME.

JACK AND KATHERINE: DO YOU KNOW WHAT I BELIEVE IN? LOOK INTO MY EYES AND SEE.

We kissed again.

JACK: If things were different...

KATHERINE: What, if you weren't going to Santa Fe-

JACK: And if you weren't an heiress. And if your father wasn't after my head.

KATHERINE: You're not scared of my father.

JACK: No, but I am pretty scared of you.

KATHERINE: Don't be.

JACK: AND IF I'M GONE TOMORROW...

KATHERINE: WHAT WAS OURS STILL WILL BE.

JACK AND KATHERINE: I HAVE SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN, NOW THAT I KNOW YOU BELIEVED IN ME.

JACK: I HAVE SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN,

JACK AND KATHERINE: NOW THAT I KNOW YOU BELIEVED IN ME.