xxxvi. and now my feet can't touch the bottom of you

︎ VOL THREE. CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

❝︎ there are moments that the
words don't reach. ❞︎

Jack's head was leaning against Steve's shoulder while Nancy discussed their plan. He could feel the tenseness in Steve's body while he was closer to the man, and he could hear the way Steve's heart pumped at a faster beat. Jack quickly slid his hand down, and connected it with Steve's, hoping it would bring the man some sense of tranquility.

There were four phases that they were all involved in and planned to follow. Once Nancy finished discussing the plans, they all walked out of the RV and moved stealthily into the trailer park so they could reach Eddie's trailer. Jack kept his hand locked with Steve's, running at the same pace as the man.

Steve opened the trailer door, allowing the rest of them to enter, while Jack turned on the lights. Steve looked up at the hole ripped in Eddie's ceiling, pulsing and bright red. He adjusted his sweater, slipped his hands out of Jack, and pressed a light kiss to the corner of Jack's mouth.

"Be careful," Dustin lectured the man.

"Thanks, buddy," He inhaled, reaching for the rope. "Here goes nothing,"

Steve crawled up the rope, and Jack watched until his entire frame had vanished into the Upside Down. He disappeared for around a minute before returning with a mattress gripped between his grimy hands.

'Alright, let's do it. Let's go," Steve yelled.

Robin got down on her knee, hoisting Nancy up, allowing the girl to climb into the Upside Down. Jack helped throw the rest of the weapons into the Upside Down, and lifted Robin and Dustin up the rope. After he threw the last weapon, he climbed up the rope himself, taking one last glance around the trailer, and entering the darkened universe.

His head hit the mattress and Steve lifted him by the arm, pulling him up. The door of the trailer was opened by Nancy, and thunder could be heard all throughout the Upside Down, booming in the red skies. They walked out of the trailer, one by one, all with a series of weapons in tow.

Steve turned around to face Dustin and Eddie, stopping Jack in his tracks. "Hey, guys, listen. If things here start to go south, I mean, at all, you abort. Okay? Draw attention to the bats. Keep em' busy for a minute or two. We'll take care of Vecna. Don't try to be cute or be a hero or something. Okay? You guys are just–"

"Decoys," Dustin finished. "Don't worry. You can be the hero, Steve."

"Absolutely," Eddie said. "I mean, look at us. We are not heroes."

Steve nodded, and Jack smiled softly at the two men, winking at Eddie before nearing Robin and Nancy.

"Hey, Steve?" Eddie called. "Make him pay,"

Steve nodded, then turned around, walking closer to Jack, and soon enough the six of them split into two and four.

They walked through the Upside Down, creatures chittering around them, but unseen while the thunder continued to boom. They had walked until Jack's feet ached, heavily trailing after Nancy, farther away from the trailer park and closer to Vecna– Henry– One. Whatever the hell his name was. Jack's flashlight was focused on the sight in front of him, too scared to place it on the trees or beneath himself.