xxxii. surrender to the sound

︎ VOL THREE. CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO

❝︎ you are my sun, my moon, and all
of my stars. ❞︎

Jack didn't know why he was still here. He could have booked a train to Chicago, to forget about Vecna, Steve, Hawkins, all of it. But he didn't. Instead, he was standing in front of a blue, archaic house, creepily hanging over their group.

    He wanted to be there for Max, they all did. But Jack still felt the urge to run far away, so he'll never have to face this complication again.

    Steve refused even to look his way, his eyes turned to the ground every time Jack spoke, and he began to turn his longing gazes to Nancy. Jonah was going to have a field day once he received Jack's latest letter.

    Jack huffed as Steve and Nancy attempted to open the door of the house. Robin elbowed him, smirking, and leaned into Jack's ear.

    "You jealous that you're lover boy's with his ex, aren't you?"

    "He's not my lover boy, anymore," Jack replied.

    "What?!" Robin raised her voice, causing the entire group to turn their heads to her and Jack. "You broke up?"

    "Wait–" Dustin placed a hand over his hip, pointing between the broken-up couple. "Is she being serious?"

    "Yes, we broke up," Jack said. "Now drop it and focus on this shit about Victor Creel, alright?"

    "Wow..." Nancy muttered, shocked. "Steve, you were gone for him, like so far gone, it wasn't okay. I can't believe–"

    "Yeah, well I'm not the one who ended things," Steve bit out bitterly, turning his attention to prying the door open. "So like Miller said, drop it."

    Steve hadn't called Jack by his last name, in years. Jack had called Steve 'Harrington' a number of times, but they'd both known that's how Jack expressed his love for Steve, with strange pet names. But Steve? He only ever called Jack 'Miller' when he was mad at him.

    Steve and Nancy continued their attempts on entering the house, while everyone discussed the issues at hand. Vecna, The Creels, Max. Finally, they were able to open the door once Robin threw a brick through the glass window of the door. Steve stuck his hand through the broken glass, twisted the doorknob, and opened the screeching door. The seven of them slowly entered the house, shining their flashlights over torn walls and dusty furniture. Omitting, Dustin and Steve bickering in the corner.

    Jack followed after Max, who was standing in front of a large clock, her flashlight beaming against its wood.

    "Is this what you saw? In your visions?" Nancy asked, and Max nodded.

    "I mean..." Robin said. "It's just a clock. Right?" She ran her hand over the dusted surface, clearing the fragments off. "Like a normal old clock."

    "Why is this wizard obsessed with clocks?" Steve asked. "Maybe he's like, a clockmaker or something?" 

    "I think you cracked the case," Dustin sarcastically remarked.

    Nancy ignored them. "All I know is the answers are here. Somewhere. Okay, everyone stays in groups of two and three. Robin, upstairs."