xxii. there are never any right words

━︎ VOL TWO. CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

❝︎ we were kissed by poems, taken
away by seas of prose ❞︎

Jack stares up at the ceiling. He just finished throwing up and feels like he doesn't need to eat for 5,000 years. He can hear Steve beside him groaning, most likely getting rid of the last bit of chunks.

"The ceiling stopped spinning for me." Jack tilts his head. "Is it still spinning for you?"

"Holy shit." Steve breathes out. "No. You think we puked it all up?"

"Maybe. Ask me something?" He puts on a Russian accent. "Interrogate me."

Steve chuckles. "Okay. Interrogate you. Sure." Jack can feel him move around. "Uhh... When was the last time you, uh, peed your pants?"

"Today. Definitely today."

"What?"

"When the Russian doctor took out the bone saw." The couple burst into laughter. "It was just a little bit though."

"Yeah, it's definitely still in his system," Steve mumbles to himself, and they laugh again.

Jack leans against the wall and hugs his knees. "All right, my turn."

"Okay. Hit me."

Jack runs his hand through his hair. "What do you...see for your future?"

Jack regrets the question as soon as asks it. What if Steve doesn't see Jack in his future because Jack sure as hell does. What if he says Jack, but is really lying? He is an idiot.

Surprisingly, Steve answers with no hesitation. "You."

"Really, Steve?" Jack asks.

"Yeah. It's honestly embarrassing how much my world revolves around you." Jack blushes. "I have no idea what the hell I'm doing with my life, but I just need you in it."

Jack can hear Steve groan into his hands. "Fuck, you don't feel the same way, do you?"

Jack shakes his head. "No, no, Steve. I'm just shocked you feel the same." His voice cracks and Steve slides under the stall and cups Jack's cheeks.

"I don't care if this is a 'stupid high school relationship.' Jack, you're my first love, you've made me into a new person, the best version of myself. I will always- fuck- I will always..."

Jack raises an eyebrow. "You'll always what, Harrington?"

Steve takes a deep breath. "This summer, I've been trying to tell you something very, very important."

Jack feels his heart drop. Is he going to break up with? Say the long-distance is too much?

Steve continues. "Honestly, you might know by now. Robin has this stupid little board where she keeps track of how many times I've messed up saying this. I- I've felt like this since before we've even started dating, probably years before. But, Jack, Jack I- I've never loved anyone the way I love you. I love you."