vii. to see your hypnotherapist

━︎ VOL ONE. CHAPTER SEVEN

❝︎ lost with you, in you, and without
you ❞︎

As dusk had fallen, the teens placed themselves inside the rusting bus. Max had sat down on one of the seats on the bus, Lucas went to the top of the bus, with his binoculars. Dustin was pacing around the bus, exhibiting nervous behavior. Steve and Jack both settled themselves on the floor, grazing their elbows. Steve had been boredly playing with his lighter for the past five minutes, while Jack tried not to strangle the taller boy.

"So you've really fought one of these things before," Max asked.

Steve nodded. "And you're like 100% sure it wasn't a bear?"

"Shit. Don't be an idiot. Okay?" Dustin said angrily. "It wasn't a bear. Why are you even here if you don't believe us?"

Steve glanced at Jack, who was still in great denial this fake monster was coming from Hawkins Lab to kill them all.

"Just go home." Dustin finished.

"Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max said as she climbed up the ladder to join Lucas.

When the fire-headed girl was gone, Steve looked up at Dustin.

"That's good. Just show her you don't care."

"I don't."

"Steve. Why would you set him up for complete failure?" Jack whispered, so no one else could hear them.

"What?" Steve asks curiously.

"Please. We both know how this is going to end. I bet Sinclair and Mayfield are making out as we speak."

"What? No way."

"As someone who Steve Harrington has apparently liked since freshman year, I definitely know you were acting as you cared," Jack said with a smirk.

Steve buried his head in his hands. "Oh my god. Please forget I ever told you that."

"Never." Jack giggles.

"What are you two idiots talking about?" Dustin asked examining the older boys.

Jack stayed silent, and Steve winked, he fucking winked.

"Why are you winking, Steve? Stop." Dustin said, and Steve went back to playing with the lighter.

Jack groaned in annoyance and snatched the lighter from Steve.

"Hey!" Steve shouted.

Jack ignored him. "Hey, before when Max asked about fighting the demo things, you nodded your head as if you've done it before. I thought you just saw the skin of the one Dustin found?"

"Oh, yeah. Remember Nancy the Slut Wheeler?" Steve asked.

"How could anyone forget. You are a major douche." Jack replied.

"Well after that I went to Byers' house to apologize and before I know it the thing is climbing out of the fucking walls, I thought I was going to die."