xvii. and while your bleeding on your back in the glass

━︎ VOL TWO. CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

❝︎ i still look at you as if you put
the stars into the sky ❞︎

Jacks' eyes flutter open and the only thing he sees is skin. Steve's arm probably fell over his eyes when he fell asleep, and neither of them noticed. He reaches for Steve's arm and moves to his waist, the sleepy boy just groans in response.

Suddenly, something slimy drips from Jack's forehead. Jack takes a glob of the substance off his forehead and makes a face of disgust.

"Ugh! Steve you got your stupid drool all over me." He yells and pushes the boy off of him.

Steve lazily opens his droopy eyes. "Huh?"

Jack crawls out of his bed. "You're a saliva monster, how can that much spit come out of somebody's mouth?" 

"What? Come back to bed." Steve mutters and then falls right back to sleep.

Jack grabs his pillow and wacks Steve with it. "You have work in 30 minutes, you dunce."

Steve covers his head with the pillow and moans into the comforter.

After a few showers and two cups of coffee, they finally arrive at The Starcourt Mall.

Dustin is waiting for them in the ice cream shop with a pair of binoculars in his hand.  "Let's get to business."

"We look like idiots," Jack says 10 minutes later as he peaks out of a bush centered in the mall with Dustin and Steve.

"Shut up." Dustin whisper-yells, and turns to Steve. "You see anything."

"Uh, I guess I don't totally know what I'm looking for." The brunette admits.

"Evil Russians," Dustin says, like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yeah, exactly. I don't know what an evil Russian looks like."

Jack peeks out of the bush and sees a few girls gossiping by the escalator, an old couple linked, arm in arm as they walk to The Gap, and a few people scattered around the mall conversing as they walk into a shop, none of them look evil or look like an evil Russian.

"Tall, blond, not smiling." Dustin lists. "Also, look for earpieces, camo, duffel bags, that sort of thing."

Jack turns to Dustin. "Why would anyone bring a Duffel bag to the mall?"

"Russians." He smirks. "Evil Russians."

Steve and Dustin begin to fight over something inaudible, and then the younger boy rips the binoculars out of Steve's hands.

"You know Steve, you have the perfect girl standing right in front of you." Jack quietly laughs to himself, and Steve rolls his eyes.

"Seriously, if you say Robin again-"

"Robin." Dustin cuts him off. "Robin. Robin. Robin."

Steve waves him off and tells him to stop, Dustin does not seem to care.

"Robin."

"No.

"Robin."

"No."

"Robin."

"No!"

Steve gives Jack an annoyed look. "No, man. She- she's not my type." He looks directly at Jack when he says the last part. "She's not even... in the ballpark of what my type is, all right?"

"What's your type again? Not awesome?" Dustin says nonchalantly.

Jack fights the urge to smack Dustin across the chest and yell "Hey!"