vi. you gave me fifteen hundred

━︎ VOL ONE. CHAPTER SIX

❝︎ you touched the place in my heart
where love runs wild ❞︎

Jack is awoken by the Sinclair children bickering because of course, he is. He can't make out much from their quarrel, but he can hear bits and pieces.

"-They don't even exist on the same planet!"

"Aren't you too old to be playing with toys?"

"That... that's not the point."

The teen rolls his eyes at the children's antics and forces himself to roll off the couch he slept on the night before.

He tiredly approaches the siblings, but he seems to have not gotten there in time, because by the time he reaches Erica's bedroom, Lucas is dashing off towards his room.

Still, he walks into Erica's room to make sure Lucas did not strangle the younger girl to death.

Thankfully, the girl is fine. She's lying on her stomach, a barbie doll gripped in between her fingers.

She looks up at her babysitter. "You're finally awake. You know it's almost noon, right? I debated pouring hot water on your head, but my mom got home before I got the chance."

Jack chuckles, Erica had always been one of his favorite people. He still remembers the first time he had met the girl and was shocked at how someone so young could be so brutal.

"Let me guess, you were going to blame it on Lucas?"

"You already know it."

Their conversation is cut short, by the sound of Lucas' door being slammed open, his shoes squeaking against the wooden floors.

He burst into Ericas room, a bandana tied around his head, his walkie-talkie in one hand, and a wrist rocket in the other.

He marches towards Jack and pulls a pocket knife out of his left pocket. The tween offers the sharp tool to the Brunette, who reluctantly accepts the knife.

"You want proof? I'll show you proof."

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

Jack is extremely considered as Lucas tells him to drive to 'Old Cherry Road'. He is even more considered when the boy jumps out of the car without saying a word.

He sees him squabble with Max on her front porch, and then Lucas is running towards the back of the house, leaving Jack extremely confused. When the redhead slams the door shut, it is open a few seconds later by a much more large figure.

It takes the teenager a few seconds to process the fact that Hawkins New Asshole is examining the road in front of his house. Jack thanks God silently when he doesn't notice Jack is parked at his neighbor's house and turns back around, huffing.

A few minutes later, he sees Lucas and Max running towards his car, and Jack sighs in relief.

When the two younger teens are in the car, Jack takes off as if they had just robbed the whole neighborhood.

Surprisingly, Jack is the first to speak. "You're related to that asshole?"

"Stepbrother." Max grunts under her breath.