iv. i can hardly feel anything

━︎ VOL ONE. CHAPTER FOUR

❝︎ who needs guns to kill when you
have words ❞︎

Jack dances around his room singing along to the song playing from his record player.

"I wanna make a supersonic man out of you!" Jack screams along with the lyrics.

"I'm having such a good time, I'm having a-"  Jack is interrupted by obnoxious knocking on his door.

When he opens the door, he is surprisingly met with the face of his mother. It's not like he didn't get along with his mom, they just never really saw each other. He was at school from 8:00 to 2:00, then he was at work from 3:30 to 9:00 at night every day, his mother worked night shifts from 6:00 pm to 1:00 am, every night and spent the rest of the day sleeping, so her being awake at 7:15, was extremely unusual.

Your father is on the phone." She says bitterly.

"Tell him I'm busy." Jack says, matching her tone, 'Don't Stop Me Now' still playing in the background.

"Jackson."

"Actually, tell him to go fuck himself," he says putting on a tight smug.

His dad left him and his mom when he was in the fifth grade. He occasionally gets a call from the deadbeat and a birthday card every year. They were never close, his dad wanting to go play catch outside, while Jack would have preferred staying inside reading a book while listening to music. He could care less about the man.

Before his mom can respond he grabs his backpack that's lying on his bed, and dashes out the door.

He can still hear his mother yelling when he reaches the front door,  but he doesn't care. He takes the walkman out of his backpack and plays old Elton John songs he found at the thrift store.

What an amazing start to his morning.

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

This is one of the worst days of Jackson Millers' life. First, his dad had to ruin his morning by calling him out of the blue. Then, when he got to first period, he realized he forgot to do all of his homework last night, and to top it all off Tommy Hagan had "accidentally" spilled his coffee all over Jack's favorite Queen shirt.

"This day can not get any worst." The teen thinks to himself as he angrily walks towards the nearest bathroom.

But by just his luck, Steve Harrington is standing over a bathroom sink, his hands holding a tight grip on the appliance. He looks like a wet dog, he probably just got out of the showers in the boys' locker room. The taller boy looks angry, angrier than he did the morning jack kicked him out.

He turns around to see who entered the bathroom, when they lock eyes, a feeling of awkward tension washes over the room.

"I just need to wash my shirt. Pretend I'm not here." Jack says sharply.

"I've actually been meaning too-"

"Shut it, Harrington. I don't want to hear your bullshit apology." Jack cuts him off.

Steve lets go of his grasp on the sink and approaches Jack.

"Just listen. Please." He says, with that stupid gaze he always has.

Jack ignores him, trying to wipe the stain off his shirt.

"What I did was so fucked up." Steve continues.

"So fucked up." Jack retorts.

"I've been so confused lately, about who I like, what I am, and I shouldn't have lashed out on you I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Jack looks up from his shirt.

"You're sorry?" Steve slightly nods.

"God. You are the worst person I've ever met." Jack says.

"What?" Steve says, a shattered tone in his voice.

"You act as you hate me all my life. But then the second Wheeler dumps you, you fuck the first person you can find. You act like we never despised each other,  and you giggle and kiss my neck, you create such an intimate moment. Then, when you wake up you suddenly despise me again, tell me it was a mistake and you need to go make amend with your girlfriend. Now, you're trying to win me back like some idiot, but I'm not an idiot Steve. You can't play with my feelings like I'm some doll."

Steve stares at him, but not with the stupid gaze he always stares at him with, this one is filled with sorrow and anger.

"Alright. Do you wanna here my fucking perspective? I spend my whole life messing around with you because I find myself staring at you during class, or watching you walk down the hallway. I think the only reason I could possibly feel this way is that I hate you, so I force myself to hate you when deep inside I know the truth. I start dating Nancy because she cares about me and is a really fucking good person. But I still can't help looking at you. Then the one person who actually made me feel something in this world leaves me. But then I see you, and I forget about all the shitty things in the world. Sleeping with you was a mistake, but not for the reason you think. But, because I know you'll never feel the same."

He's the one looking at Steve now, Jack's eyes are filled with anger and irritation.

"What the hell kind of lie is that? You really are an asshole." Jack shouts.

"What?" Steve shouts back.

"You really expected me to believe that? That you pretended to hate me because you like me or something? I hate you, Steve Harrington." Jack barked.

"Shut up," Steve says sourly.

"What?"

"I said shut up."

"Make me." 

Steve grabs the collar of Jack's stained shirt and crashes him into the wall. He kisses Jack with a rough force. He doesn't kiss him back at first, but he starts slowly moving his lips along with Steves.

Steve backs him into the nearest stall, slamming the door with his foot. Jack grips Steve's hair with his fingers, the taller boy letting out a slight moan.

Steve lets his hands fall to Jack's neck. Jack places his other hand under Steve's shirt, tracing the outline of his abs.

Jack pulls away, letting out a gasp. He and Steve breathe into each other's mouths, trying to catch their breaths.

When Steve tries to pull Jack back in by gripping his waist, Jack pushes Steve away.

"Jack?" Steve whispers as the musician slowly backs away.

Jack doesn't respond he just walks out the stall door, and he keeps on walking until he walks to his classroom, hoping nobody notices the hickeys appearing on his neck or his rosy red cheeks.

When he sits down he realizes he did the one thing he wasn't supposed to do:  become an idiot and fall for Steve Harrington's stupid game.

AN
this is my favorite chapter by far. tysm
for reading this. this was my first time
writing a kissing scene so i hope i did
ok in some way. < 3