v. i hardly feel anything at all

━︎ VOL ONE. CHAPTER FIVE

❝︎ if i had a flower for every time i
thought of you, i could walk in my garden
forever ❞︎

Jack leaned against a nearby wall in the Palace Arcade. Ever since his fight with Steve, he's felt lightheaded and dizzy, most likely out of stress.

He's been out of it for the past few hours. Just watching customers come in and out, and making sure nobody's been getting up to any sorts of trouble.

Time hasn't felt real since he screamed his lungs out at Harrington, then shoved his tongue down the boy's throat. He feels guilty about everything. Sleeping with Steve on Halloween, screaming at him in the bathroom, kissing him in the stall, and running away from all of his problems.

But, the thing he feels the most guilty about is that he still wants to kiss the ever-living shit out of Steve, and it terrifies him.

Thankfully, Keith pulls him out of his thoughts by tapping him on the shoulder.

"Guess what?" He asks a hint of excitement in his tone.

"Do I even want to know?"

"Sinclair promised me a date with Wheeler, so he can have some alone time with the redhead in the employees-only room." He says with a smirk showcased across his lips.

Jack looks disgusted at what his best friend just told him. "Gross. I didn't need to know that. Sinclair's like an annoying little cousin to me. Why would I want to hear what he gets up to with the ginger."

Keith shrugs, taking a bite out of the last cheese doodle in his bag. He sighs and throws the bag in the nearest garbage can.

"I gotta piss, make sure no one dies," Keith says as he walks toward the bathroom.

"I'll try my hardest."

As Keith disappears, two new figures appear, walking out of the employee's room. The two figures start arguing over something. 'Lovers quarrel.' Jack thinks to himself.

When the redhead stomps out of the door, leaving Sinclair in defeat, the boy turns around and locks eyes with Jack.

"Jack! Jack! I need your help, please." Lucas begs as he runs towards the teenager.

"If you're asking for girl advice, you're asking the wrong person, Sinclair," Jack says nonchalantly.

"No. I just- do you have a car?"

"Yes." He doesn't. He just happened to have been able to take his mom's car to work today.

"Good. Great! I need your help with something, please? You can sleep over, like the good old days!" Lucas exclaims.

Jack thinks about it, Keith did promise to cover any shifts of his until February. And maybe, just maybe this would help him get Harrington off his mind.

"Why the fuck not. Stay here, I'll get my keys."

Jack walks over towards the bathroom and bangs his fists on the door. "Hey, Keith! Cover my shift. I'll see you tomorrow!"