Smart Thinking

Chapter 3

August arrived to work Monday refreshed. She didn't spend the weekend with Morgan as usual he was working.

A sadness swept over her sometimes she regretted marrying him. He told her before they married he was sterile a decision he made early because of being raised in adverse conditions.

August had to admit he was a victim of severe child abuse and thank God he reported the abuse to an aunt who was married with money and couldn't have her own children.

She took both of her sister's boy's her baby sister a victim of the crack epidemic. Morgan had no idea who his father was being dragged from crack house to crack house protecting his four year old brother while he was just nine.

Morgan had enough when his mother offered his baby brother out for sex in exchange for rock. He grabbed his baby brother before his mother could find them for the exchange found a pay phone he called his aunt from harlem collect.

He memorized the phone number when she visited New York from Atlanta when Morgan was just six. His mother named her first born son after her sister.

Morgan's aunt's name is Morgana when he asked his mother why she named him after her sister her answer was simple.

Because my sister is the only person who ever loves me she is the one who got up out this mud I'm proud of her. I named you after my sister so one day you could shine as bright and beautiful as she is.

When Morgan turned fourteen he buried his mother in Evergreen cemetary in brooklyn in the family plot. He picked his mother's dress wig and coffin. His aunt gave him and his brother full control over the funeral.

We bury our own Morgan she said lay her out the way you imagined her in your mind had her life been different.

He and his brother buried their mom in the finest attire making her look like a princess.

Four year's later Morgan at 18 working as a clerk in his Aunt's law firm used his summer earnings to pay for a vasectomy.

When Morgana found out what her adopted nephew now her son did she cried on her husbands shoulders for weeks. It was the first time Morgan made his auntie shed tears.

Morgana said one thing to her nephew you will reveal to any woman you intend to marry in front of me that you are sterile and unable to create children. If you do not do it in front of me I'll do it myself and you will marry without my blessing or inheritance upon my death.

You will not rob a young black Queen the gift of motherhood using your handsome looks and charm as a shield disguising the fact that you're damaged goods now.

August recalled the story as Morgan revealed it causing her to cry why would he wait till she loved him to say he couldn't make babies? It was too late she was already in love.

Her mother advised against it but August had to have her way she recalled herself throwing caution to the wind convincing herself babies were not important marrying Morgan anyway.

August inhaled her reality exhaling her truth that she wasn't happy being just Morgan's wife. The wife to the number one criminal defense attorney in New York. A young Johnny Corcoran is what they called him.

Last year he made thirty million dollars in criminal cases alone defending some of New York's largest criminal's. Some crime family member's and some rappers in the music industry.
August didn't need to work she wanted to or she'd go insane.

All that thinking she arrived at work early which was good. She cleared the security check and went to see one of the case worker's who was a gay male she noticed was a job gossip.

Hey Santos hey August good morning girl how was your weekend? Quiet and your's. Chile I'm a around gay man we don't do quiet weekends unless we are married and married I ain't girl. August giggled I wanted to ask something is there an issue with the inmates and the officer on my wing?

Santos got up closing the door pulling his chair close to her's. Excuse the personal space invasion but this has to remain between us sis the hills have eyes he chuckled tapping his ears.

Word has it that he was stealing info he heard during sessions and selling it to other inmates or even outside resources. Like what?

An inmate stole diamond's like a fool he told.the therapist where he stashed them.

Why? Don't ask me anyway he his them in a wall to a house he used to own the house was taken by the bank when he was on lockdown newly renovated by the new family.

The new family that is now dead when the people he who took the diamond's from showed they refused to leave loose ends.

A week later the inmate was killed in the shower's while your wing officer was assigned to shower duty. At first everything pointed to the Doctor until an inmate who liked the Doctor came and snitched the truth that it was Lydell who reported the diamond location for a undisclosed cut. Shortly after the Doctor quit he told me personally girl he didn't feel safe.

I want to help them men here Santos but how can I if he is assigned to my wing?

I got it? I can ask the other case managers to get in board August whatever wing you are on the guard assigned there has to stand by you during sessions. Take Cairo for example that's my client you can use my office for your sessions and use your office when officer Lydell is in vacation or absent from work.

There is also the inmate library or computer room or chow hall during hours it's not being used my the inmates. Those areas always have guards. The chaplain also allows us to use the chapel. He is in the back in his office and a guard at the chapel doors.

I think I like that using the chapel for now it's small cozy and--

It has the bolt's in the floors on every row just give yourself distance don't sit so close.

Thanks Santos. What about the  garden it's beautiful there. The lifers created that garden and lord are they covetous about it. The benches do have the bolts and there is a guard there when they are planting. The good thing is the benches are far away from where the digging is.

Oh we all donate plants to the garden if you're gonna use it you gotta donate they're funny that way. Who the guard's? No sweetie the lifers they were trying to grow orchids but the warden said the bulb's are too expensive and none of us could afford them.

Hint hint. I have a friend who owns a flower shop i may be able to get them wholesale. Will the warden approve them? They've already been approved I have the floral approval list in my office I'll share a list of what is allowed in and out.

Thank you Santos. By nine a.m August waited in the chapel for Cairo the pastor was happy to help her with the problem of the guard's reputation.

Cairo was escorted in and shackled to the floor she sat about two people equivalent down from Cairo.

This is nice be said looking around. Have you ever been in here Cairo? No, I'm not a religious man Doctor.

What do you want to talk about Cairo this is your session you can talk about anything you want. How long are the sessions? One hour only because you're going home soon and so much time has been lost.

How many times per week? Four if we are to make headway before your parole hearing god forbid you don't get approved you'll have less then a year I think? You are correct Doctor.

Are you excited about getting out? Not really I don't have anything or anyone to go home to. It says here your mom is deceased. Yes ma'am. Do you have a place to live?

I own a house on staten island paid the tax for ten years before I came inside neighbor watches the house for me.

Are you happy Cairo? No ma'am. Why? Because I'm alone in the world. You can change that you know you have a degree use it start over.

Thank you Doctor our time is up. That was fast Cairo see you Wednesday? I prefer Monday Tuesday Wednesday and Friday please.

Okay Cairo. Guard! August called he came in to take Cairo back.

The whole time August and Cairo maintained eye contact speaking to one another but not one word escaped their mouth's.