Chapter 35 - Escape Island

It'll get too dark already before we can reach the shore if we paddled, and also dangerous without anything on hand. At the same time, floating overnight in the sea is no option for us as well. Although months of training under cold conditions outside could spare me from it, I cannot risk Se Ri's health. Knowing her, she will probably act like it's not a problem for her, but I worry that she might get sick from the cold.

So much for rushing here without anything with me, even my phone!

Se Ri suddenly exclaims, "The island! Somewhere here is a small island, I heard them talk about it."

She stands up abruptly and searches around, then finally points somewhere, "There! I think that's the island."

I look in the direction she was pointing. There it is, the "Escape Island", a tiny island here in Jeju.

"Are you not familiar with it?" she asks.

"Heard about it. But never set foot. We can get through there before the sun goes down."

I reach down for the paddles and row in that direction.

"Sadly we only have one pair of paddles, I could have helped," she murmurs, trying to give assistance by using her hands like a paddle when I turn around to check on her.

'Don't do that, you'll tire out,' I thought, but instead snaps: "You can help me more by not moving so much."

I hear her humph and then the boat grows still, rocking gently as I row towards the island.

It didn't take us long to reach the shore. Though it's just a small island, plenty of trees in the middle block the view on the other side. I jump down first and help Se Ri out of the boat, then pull it further from the sea.

"Whoa!" I hear her cry excitedly.

Looks like there's really a reason why the women were talking about the island. A medium-sized tent is already put up. In front of it is a blanket spread below the fine white sand, held in place by a picnic basket and three rocks on each end, as the other end flaps in the wind. Successfully escaping from the forlorn rock under it.

Se Ri hops immediately on the spot and opens the basket.

"I'm starving already. Let me see what's in here."

I walk past her and towards the tent, lowering down to check what's inside.

'Did they think of us staying the night here?!'

A blanket and pillows are neatly placed inside, and also some boxes that I suspect contain camping equipment.

A sigh escapes my mouth as I straighten up and my eyes rove around the area for inspection.

Se Ri looks up at me, sipping a small carton of juice already.

"Are you just going to stand there? Looks like it's an empty island, there are no criminals here." She pats the blanket, inviting me to sit.

Well, it looks like we are safe anyway. I sit beside her and watch her as she contemplates what food to eat. She picks up two eggs and cracks them by smashing them with each other.

"Yours."

I stare at the egg she's handing me for a second before accepting it. She peels her own and eats half of it in one go. I close my fist over the egg like a stone, lean with the elbow on my knee, and let my eyes dart across the scenery in front of us.

Down to somewhere nowhere.

The sun is setting. The ocean now appears orange as it illuminates the sky in its dazzling orange glow. All is still and quiet other than the chorus of crashing waves.

"So deep."

Se Ri's voice breaks my reverie, prompting me to look in her direction.

"Uh, the waters are deep, yes. People hardly go here because there are death pools around this island," I say.

"I'm not talking about the sea."

She shifts her position, slanting towards me, "Tell me."

"Tell you what?"

"Your thoughts. I mean, I noticed how cautious you are around Jeon Hee yesterday. He also had this disapproving eyes over you. And you ran here just right after you realized he's on the list. It's obvious that you don't like each other."

"Are you and Ms. Seo Dan on good terms? I saw her singling you out among others. And you would make face once she had already walked away. It's obvious that you don't like each other."

"Wh- how did you know? Ha! Turning tables around, I see."

"Just want to point out that people react in direct proportion to what other's attitude towards them. But I wouldn't say that Jeon Hee's animosity towards me has no validation."

"Rivaling Ms. Seo Dan's beauty and charm... hmmm... well, I guess, hers can be validated too."

I glance at her and catch her already watching me. Seeing my surprised 'Are-you-kidding?' expression on my face, she falls into a peal of laughter that I immediately joined.

"But seriously, we might be the bad person in other people's lives without even knowing it. I dunno what Jeon Hee's reasons are, but I just want to tell you that you are a good person, Jeong Hyeok. I might have known you for a while only, but I can see that... I can feel that. No validation could take that away."

She pats my shoulder slowly, one and then another.

"I do think you are more beautiful and charming than Ms. Seo Dan anyway."

She let out a confident sound like 'Heh' and smiles bashfully. The joy in her eyes and the smugness in her face, marked by the receding light from the sunset, capture me, as I stare watching her with a kind of awe wonder.

A warm touch on my hand suddenly breaks me from my absorption, and I notice her hand at the top of mine. Surprised, I raise my head to look at her with my mouth open. What is she doing?

A pair of dark brown eyes are already staring back at me with good-humored curiosity, which slips from mine to my hand.

"Aren't you going to eat this?! Aigoo, just give it to me then!"

And she snatches the egg from my grasp forcefully. Inhaling it in one go.

* * *

A cool breeze weaved against his hair as he stood behind a column of trees looking up at the two people sitting together facing the sea, who were wistfully observing the crashing of small waves on the shoreline and as they rolls back into the water. Filling the serenity of the place with chuckles and conversations.

He could tell despite being far away from them, that they were cozy and calm.

Just like what he expected. Though the turns of events of today were not quite what he planned. Despite that, he had learned a piece of substantial information on the next target.

The relaxing rhythm of the lapping waves reminded him of his childhood. An old and rusty traditional Korean home, housing a dark and dusty basement, flashed in his eyes. A piercing cry tore the silence, mingling with the churning ocean water. The memory is too vivid for him to forget.

A smile formed on his lips, radiated by the dancing sun rays that have escaped the coconut leaves. Watching behind a thick layer of underbrush as darkness started to dawn on the island, his shadow disappeared when the dark embraced the stillness of the surrounding, knowing it was time for him to make a move.