Chapter 5 - Hyeoky Is Popular

"Ri Jeong Hyeok-ssi!"

Three elderly women greet Jeong Hyeok after he opens the gate. Each is holding a Tupperware which I think contained dishes.

'Omo! I think we're getting free foods today!' My ears perk up with the thought and I smile subconsciously.

But aside from the foods they bring, each ahjumma brings her daughter as well. The first one creeps to her mother's shoulder acting shy. Another one is constantly brushing an invisible strand of hair behind her ear (I hope she does not graze the back of her ear though). While the other one with full make-up keeps on smiling.

"Omo! You have grown more handsome and taller!"

"I thought an actor visited our village. If I only knew it was you, I should have visited yesterday!"

"You are a Ri, indeed. Look at you!"

The ahjummas simultaneously praise Jeong Hyeok. Since I can't see his face I wonder what his reaction was, could he be smiling smugly like how cheeky guys would? Or is he shy? All I know is that he scratches the back of his head and mutters greetings in his lowest voice ever. The flattery does not stop there and after a while, the ahjummas are already introducing their daughters who turn out to be all acquainted with him before. It's just that he seems to have no remembrance at all. He tilts his head up trying to rack his brain then ends up nodding when obviously does not remember them. My guess.

"You and my daughter were in the same school before," says ahjumma 1.

"She was your partner in the candle dance in junior high," says ajhumma 2.

"My daughter was the village muse and you escorted her way back," says ahjumma 3.

Blah. Blah. Blah. From what I'm hearing, Jeong Hyeok was the campus crush, the neighborhood's boy-next-door, and the village's male pride. Well, I won't disagree with that. The man in front of me is handsome... insanely handsome. The type who you only see on tv screens and in magazines. So I won't be surprised if the village ahjummas want him to be their son-in-law.

Aside from his looks, he is really tall. Now, even towering me with his broad shoulders and back, the visitors I suppose have not even noticed me yet behind him. Me, peeking through a gap between his waist and the gate for he only opened it up to his left shoulder. But don't get me wrong. I'm not the type of woman who falls for looks. Tch!

"If you need someone to help clean the house, just call us okay? We're just a block away," says ahjumma 1.

"The weather's getting hotter. If you have problems with your shower, my husband's a plumber, just message us, our number is plastered all around here. Alright?" says ahjumma 2.

"Cha! If you need anything, my store is open for you 24 hours for you," the third ahjumma says, earning her, incredulous looks from the others.

That's funny! They are all vying for Jeong Hyeok's affection. I can't help but snort which does not leave unnoticed by Jeong Hyeok. He looks down in my direction briefly.

"Here. My daughter made a special kimbap for you, Jeong Hyeok-ssi. The mangoes are freshly picked, you'll love it!" says ahjumma 1.

"Ehem, this kimchi is fermented really well and my daughter made the paste. You may keep it for a few days. It's so tasty," says ahjumma 2.

"I don't know about those they brought, but my daughter prepared a spicy crab stew. The crabs were even alive when they were boiled."

The two other daughters look impressed for a second but wrinkled their noses after. Proud of herself, the daughter of the third ahjumma has her one eyebrow raised to them. But I doubt she did the cooking. She has fake fingernails, come on!