Chapter 13 - Party in the House

"Se Ri noona!" Greets the youngest officer this morning. What is his name again? Eun-Dong. Yes, Eun-Dong.

I give him a plain smile which disappears immediately when my eyes fall upon the face of the detective at his back- Pyo Chi Su. Ha! How can I forget his name? He almost got me jailed and was even thinking to charge me with assault!

I scoff at the sight of him which he returns with a lift on the chin.

'Brute' I mouth to myself.

Two more officers who were also present in the police station appear beside Jeong Hyeok. Each one of them is holding a brown paper bag. The aroma of fried chicken filled the air, making me gulp subconsciously.

So, why are they here? Are they possibly having their party here? In the house?

With my arms folded in front of me, I stand beside the doorway as they enter the house one by one. Jeong Hyeok is the last person to come inside and I lift my face to give him an inquisitive stare. Geez, why is he so tall? I have to raise my face up high to be able to meet his eyes.

"We decided to eat here instead. The restaurant is full," he explained to me, probably reading my thoughts from my stare. I give him a short nod as a response although my face remains rigid.

As if they were in the house before, the police officers get their own cushions and settle on the floor.

"Wow, this traditional house is so nice, Detective Ri," Eun Dong says, complimenting the structure of the house as his eyes survey around.

Kwang Beom busies himself from bringing out the beer-in-cans and the chicken as well. He seems to be a quiet type of person as I haven't seen him talk since the first time I saw him at the police station. Upon seeing that they will need plates for the chicken, Jeong Hyeok goes to the kitchen. It is my chance to confront him so I follow him.

I stand at the entrance of the kitchen and put my hands on my waist. But before I could open my mouth to interrogate him, he speaks:

"You did not cook something?"

"Oh... I did not know you guys are coming," I reply. A bit perplexed why he asked about it.

"I mean, it's not for us but for your dinner. It's already 6:30 in the evening and you haven't cooked anything?" he says in a rather grave tone.

I stand frozen for a few seconds with my mouth agape as I did not expect him to say that. So, is he concerned about me? Wait. No. I shouldn't assume. He just said that because he did not want the household to appear shabby in front of his peers by having no food. Right, that's it! What a prideful man he is.

"I was about to... yeah, I was about to cook when you came, " I reply, almost stammering, for the truth is I am planning to cook ramen again for dinner.

He tilts his head and looks at me in disbelief, then he strides in my direction taking my hand the moment he reaches me.

"Join us for dinner then."

What? Join them? That is not a good idea, right? Joining the police officers who have seen my embarrassing state in the police station. I want to say no but he has already pulled me back to the living room. But the thing that surprises me the most is his hand over mine. Since when did he become so touchy? Well, is he? I immediately pull my hand away from his hold once we reach the officers who are busy observing the house.

Eun Dong and Ju Meok smile when they saw me, Kwang Beon gives a small nod, while Chi Su remains looking smug in my opinion. Since I can't do anything anymore, with a proud expression on my face, I sit on the nearest cushion and cross my arms in front again. Why? They are in my house so why should I feel embarrassed?