Chapter 25 - Couch

Six PM... but Se Ri is still not in sight.

Fidgeting my fingers for a while now in my pocket, I finally reach for it and dial her number. It takes more than three rings for her to pick up the call. Where does she keep her phone?

“Se Ri, where ar-”

A woman from the other side of the street waves at me while her other hand is up holding the phone in her left ear. She crosses the street after a quick glance from her right and left. I put the phone down and sigh, crossing my arms in front of me, waiting for her to reach the entrance of the establishment.

“I know you are so strict when it comes to time but it is not yet past 6 PM, why are you calling me?”

“I thought you ignored my message.”

For the past few days, I noticed that she acted so cautious around me. Like as if I will growl at her or something. So ignoring my message and telling me that she missed it is a possible alibi.

She simply hisses and looks somewhere else, then turns back to me.

“Anyway... What are we doing here? Undercover? Is the informant buying or something?”

“Shopping.”

I point my head lightly to the direction of the entrance to prod her to walk inside first. 

“Shopping? The entrance of the grocery store is on the other side,” she says as she walks in front of me.

With a few strides, I glide beside her successfully to keep her pace.

“We have a one-month grocery stock, remember? And a two-month stock of your feminine needs.”

She glances at me stupefied from what I said and rolls her eyes. Apparently, my joke didn’t land on her and gets irritated instead. Funny thing is... I enjoy seeing her like this.

“You don’t have to remind me. So... what are you buying?”

“Let’s look around first.”

She squints at me suspiciously at first but when she turns and sees the stores inside, her eyes turn big and enthusiastic, like a child who saw a kid’s playground.

A certain small family furniture store catches her attention and walks there. I am actually thinking of checking the big department store on our left but I follow her instead.The store is small but filled with furniture. Some of the furniture looks second hand while some look brand as new.

Her hands calloused slightly to the furniture she walks by. Smoothing the bed sheets, checking her reflection on the glass tables, measuring the thickness of mattresses, knocking over wooden cabinets, and trying down the plumpness of the couches. Just like what she’s doing now. 

She sits down comfortably on a two meter peach colored couch and rests her shoulders on the top back rest, ignoring the “Do Not Sit” sign since there’s no people in sight. Looking satisfied with it, she reaches for the tag price and her eyes bulge from what she read.

“Very nice couch with a very nice price too.”

“Excuse me,” I say, calling the attention of any store attendant present but is not in our field of view.

Se Ri scurries after hearing me, panicking from sitting on the couch.

“Hey! How could you turn me in!”

She smooths herself, standing quickly to the side of the sofa like an innocent and well-behaved child.

“Yes, Sir?”