Chapter 6 - A Scare

As soon as I enter my room, I rush to open my trolleys and rummage through my things, looking for my portfolio.

I can not afford to lose it.

It is like my lifeblood. It contains my IDs, passport, documents, and most importantly my credentials for my job interview on Friday, three days from now. My goodness! What will happen to me without it?

I slump on the floor with my things scattered around me. I can't help but scream out of frustration. Something I regret later for the door bursts opens abruptly that I jump on my feet startled.

"What's that scream?" Jeong Hyeok's head pops on the door.

"Did a burglar went into your room?" he asks. He scorns as he scans the room. I immediately hide the lingeries lying around by kicking them under the bed.

"Yah! What are you doing? Why are peeking into someone's room without permission? Don't you know how to knock?" I say in a slightly raised voice while I walk towards him.

"It was a reflex. You screamed."

'Reflex?' My eyebrows furrow.

"What if I tell you that my reflex is to throw a punch on someone invading my privacy?" Showing him a fist.

"Then I would have no choice but to tackle you down."

I bat my eyes unbelievably at him.

"Reflex," he explains. I hate his smirk.

"-by the way, I'm quite sensitive to noise, so I hope you can be a little quiet."

Then after saying that in his usual stoic manner he starts to walk to his room which is just in front of mine.

"Don't worry. I'm a very sensible person you know!" I yell over him but he was already inside.

"Tch!"

My worry over my lost portfolio is changed to annoyance. I will not let him have his way on me, I resolve. So the next morning, I establish my seniority after finding out that I am 8 months older than him. Now, after a small incident with his neighbors, I even became his instant sister-in-law.

Good start, Se Ri!

I place the last pebble on the ground, completing the hedge on the seeds I have planted. I smile at my little feat.

"Cha! Please grow quickly! Fighting!"

I say with my fist up. It comes out like a cheer not only to the seeds I planted but also to myself. I let out a deep breath. My day has just started in Korea, but it feels like I have been living here in a lonely neighborhood for ages. This is not right. I should be living a great life here! That makes me decide to go to the airport this afternoon and get my portfolio back. I hope someone found it and submitted it on the lost and found desk.

Cross fingers!

I stand up to get ready but I almost stumbled down on the ground after seeing a head above the wall. Scaring me tons.

"What the-!"

The head moved.

My goodness!

"Eonnie! (sister)"

I squint my eyes and recognize the face. She is one of the daughters who visited us this morning. She gestures for me to come out. And although I have no idea why she's up there calling me, I come outside.

She climbs down on a small wooden ladder and hurried to greet me. She will scare the whole neighborhood with that stunt. I shake my head in disbelief.