Chapter 23 - Deja Vu

“Se Ri-noona, are you ready?”

I nod to Ju Meok once with a firm gaze, prepared for the battlefield. My boot creates a soft thud as it kisses the ground while I come out of the car. One, two, three, four thuds and I’m in my full glory, bask under the heat of the sun. With my black high waist slim fit jogger cargo and white tight fitted top, I feel like Lara Croft on a mission.

Putting my shades on, I push a strand of hair behind my ears, my hair hanging at my back in a ponytail. This is my first time so I better look good and equipped. 

But ugh, my back still aches. 

On the opposite side of the road, Jeong Hyeok emerges from a black car I saw for the first time. Leaving early in the morning, he left a note saying that the police officers will come and fetch me. He wears a gray polo over a black shirt and pants paired with a cap. He always looks refreshing in my eyes. Not gonna lie.

He walks towards us while being vigilant to the surroundings. Detective Chi Su approaches him first and clarifies something about the plan. I heard about it while on the way. We have to secure places where the informant might get away. We are just gonna snoop on what he looks like without being noticed. It’s important that we don't get suspected or else the informant might not cooperate anymore. I prefer to go with Eun Dong or Ju Meok, so subconsciously, I stick myself to the two. 

Done with their conversation, Jeong Hyeok makes his way in front of me, studying me from head to toe.

“Nice outfit. You look like you are ready to kick some asses today but it's a shame coz you are staying here in the car.”

Before I can complain, he turns towards the others and assigns the pathways that they will secure. He wants me to stay in the car? What the hell is that?

”Are you serious? You want me to stay here?”

He turns to me and I stare at him ridiculously.

“The car is a focal point. You are assigned to it.”

“Focal point, my foot!”

If there’s only dust under my boots, not plain cement, I could have kicked some to his face.

“You have your earpiece. Be alert. Stay inside the car. Do not leave the area until we say so. Copy?”

I can’t help but just scoff and roll my eyes so he answers himself instead, “Copy.”

They start to embark while I stand irritated.

“Se Ri-noona, don’t be upset. There’s always someone who needs to stay out of pursuit. Next time you’ll be joining the chase,” says Ju Meok with a tap on my shoulder before he leaves.

“We’ll be back as soon as possible, noona.” Eun Dong bids farewell.

“Aish! Jeong Hyeok, that scumbag!”

Huffing loudly, I open the door of the driver’s seat, sit grumpily, and close the door loud enough for them, who are yards away, to hear it. I sigh from irritation, thinking how I am being pushed over by Jeong Hyeok. Although this is not the actual operation that I am needed for, why did he let me come then just leave me behind?

I close my eyes and breathe deeply to calm my nerves, getting angry won’t make things any better. I’ll just use this moment to observe how they do things. Let me see if they can even get a glimpse of the informant. Hmp! 

And yes, I have to rest my back.

The street where the car is parked has nothing much to look at. It’s actually the back of the mail office. Almost all of the shops along the way are closed, housed as they are in old buildings with faded shop signs. On the other side, an old church is left abandoned. The whole atmosphere of the place suggests a deserted street with lurking eyes watching inside glass shattered windows and creaking doors. Everything looks grimy and chilling amid the high noon.