Chapter 23- A Friend of Mine

Start from the beginning

Donovan stood up out of his chair as I came to stand in front of him, Julia reassuringly stood by my side as she glared up at him for both of us while Nevaeh continued to sit down, simply looking up at me in surprise.

"Lina. What are you-" I raised a hand, closing my eyes to dismiss him as he shut up.

"I'm here to have a nice cup of coffee, I don't want any drama today, so please, pretend you didn't seem me," And I turned around, going to the till as I looked over the menu.

"Are you sure about this? Shouldn't we just leave,"

"You told me that I'd be missing out if I didn't come to this cafe? And today's my only chance since I'll be leaving soon, remember?" I cocked my head to the side, confused.

"I know. But it's just a cupcake, and I assumed you'd prefer missing out on the cupcake, and unnecessary drama, instead of getting them both," Chuckling, I shook my head.

"No drama today. We'll sit at the other end of the cafe, and mind our business," I reassured as she rolled her eyes, not sure if she should believe me or not.

"If you say so," She sang, going to speak our orders to the waiting cashier.

Going to sit by the window seats, I looked out to the bustling city streets, taking in the differences between New York and Rome. I loved my home country, I never really thought about it, but I realised every time I left the country for anything, mostly business trips.

The Roman air, its people, the sunny days, and even the memories, the good and the bad. Rome is where I was born and it's where I plan on staying, but after meeting Lucian, I can't say I'm so sure anymore.

"You thinking about that husband of yours?" Julia's voice brought me back to reality as I caught her grinning at me like a little fangirl.

"Yes, but rather than him. I'm thinking about my home country,"

"Italy? You miss it," She correctly guessed.

"More than I thought I would," I sighed, slouching on my chair as I picked my mug up, sipping on the hot cappuccino that almost burnt my tongue.

"It must be hard for you to adjust to a completely new country..." She fell silent for a moment, looking down at the coffee in her mug, deep in thought.

"I never really thought about it, but Angelina, you've been through a lot, from being a Duchess to an ex-Duchess, getting cheated on, and wrongly divorced with no alimony. And now you're married to a better man, but you had to leave everything behind... Are you okay?" I blinked, not having expected the question.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember the last time anyone's asked me that question.

And my heart swelled at the fact, my eyes almost tearing up.

It was such a simple question, but it held such a reassuring weight that made me feel as though I wasn't alone, and maybe I wasn't anymore?

"Yes," My lips crept up into the happiest grin, a little laugh escaping through as I closed my eyes to hold back the tears. 

"I'm okay... I'm better than okay. Thank you for asking," And she grinned with me, laughing at me as I laughed at her for no apparent reason.

"That's good to hear," She sighed.

With the lighter atmosphere hovering around us, we talked about anything and everything. I wanted to tell her about the contract, but thought against it, I should discuss it with Lucian first before going and sharing the information with anyone.

And I couldn't dismiss the fact that while I loved Julia, she's also been friends with Lucian for longer than me, and was even engaged to the man at some point. What if she learnt to hate me after finding out about the contract? What if she thinks I'm taking advantage of him?