Recombinant 003 (Various)

Recombinant 003
Pairings: Viper x Killjoy / Reyna x Sage

Various things flashed across the screens before her, displaying results she was evidently displeased with. Shaking her head, the chemist spun around and approached one side of the room, where some sort of high-security container was housing what looked like a translucent heart with black and grey cracks littering its surface.

The artificial organ was actually beating, and with every pulse, its results reflected on the screen connected to the container. Judging from the meter reaching the red point and the flashing word of 'DANGER!' blinking across the monitor, the odds weren't on the scientist's favour.

Viper, who was the one responsible for the experiment, growled in absolute frustration. She opened up a control panel that was connected to the container, shortly staring at the buttons in deep contemplation before sighing and finally twisting the red key switch at the far right.

There was some sort of spark of black and white electricity that came from the synthetic Radianite heart before its glow died down and the organ stopped beating. Helplessly, Viper watched as it started cracking, chipping until she was only staring at a glimmering pile of ash-looking Radianite.

"Test twenty-two... Failed."

The hands grasping the edge of the counter pushed herself back, exhaustedly taking her gloves off before tossing them to another table. She exited the hidden laboratory she was in and proceeded to enter another sequestered room, which was apparently accommodating a young yet frail utterly pale-looking girl.

Viper straightened her slightly hunched posture, one caused by her decision of foregoing sleep the previous night. She took a deep breath before taking the tablet on the small wall table she passed by.

Fingers tapped across the screen, bringing it to life and immediately opening what seemed to be a live status report of the patient lying in bed.

Despite the relatively dark and fair skin the child possessed, the massively prominent sight of black and grey veins crept around her body like some sort of parasite crawling underneath her skin.

Viper pursed her lips at the terrible scene, her gaze trailing towards the dim glow emitting underneath the thin hospital gown and from the girl's chest. Behind the scientist, she heard the door hiss open, granting entry to none other than Brimstone, who was the only individual other than herself that was allowed access and had knowledge of the room and the patient's existence.

The expression on Brimstone's face went from stern to grim the moment he saw the child's state. He walked up until he was standing beside Viper, momentarily examining the unconscious girl's appearance.

"Any improvements?"

Viper sighed and shook her head. She deposited the tablet to Brimstone before she spun around and approached the glass shelf on the other side of the room, withdrawing a fresh syringe and a small vial of thick yet clear liquid.

"None." Viper spoke indifferently, puncturing the vial with the syringe. "I need more essence for her. To prolong her time."

Brimstone sighed. "What about the last batch Sage extracted from Reyna?"

"Already out." Viper swiftly turned and headed towards the bed, injecting the unknown liquid into the sleeping patient's veins. "I need more."

"You know it's not that easy to get them. Not without raising any suspicions, especially with Reyna."

"We can't exactly harvest soul essence ourselves." Viper grunted, turning to Brimstone with a stringent look. "Ever since KAY/O came, you wanted me to do all I can to save her. This is me trying. This is me asking what I need to give her a fighting chance."