Chapter Thirty-Eight

The non-communication from Dean was hard. After my discussion with Jay the other day, I'd added a whole page of questions to the list for him to answer. I'd even sneaked into Jay's room to relook through the stuff he'd gathered. I knew he wouldn't mind, in fact that was why I sneaked in.

At this moment, Jay thought I was annoyed (which I kinda was), if he thought I was okay with it, he'd continue looking further into my family. The idea shouldn't have unsettled me as much as it did.

Deep down I know I was afraid of what he might find. But until I spoke to Dean and got the full picture I didn't want to listen to any more of Jay's theories.

It hadn't gone unnoticed by the rest of the Cotton's my sudden lack of enthusiasm. Chase picked up on it more than the rest, to the point where Will was asking me if everything was okay. Damn their friendship.

The sun shined into my room, at five in the morning I now knew there could be no way I'd be going back to sleep. Tired and annoyed at everyone and everything, I shoved a jumper over my head, and headed downstairs. Although it was summer time in England, the mornings still had a chill to them.

Tip toeing into the kitchen, I carefully pulled out a dining room chair and rested my head in my hands.

My life had somehow once again turned into a soap. Dying mother who I hate, a lover who keeps secrets from me, a brother who cares only for himself and a father who's trying to bribe me with university most likely to keep me quiet. You really couldn't make this shit up.

I'd have to go back, if only to see Dean. No matter how hard I tried, my brain simply wouldn't let Dean rest. If I wasn't thinking up questions, I was picturing the future. One like at the barbeque, without all the other shit.

"Meg, a bit early for you isn't it?" Mr C strolled into the kitchen wearing a business suit. From last night's conversation around the dinner table I knew he had a big case going to trail today.

A glance at the clock informed me I'd been sitting at the table for an hour lost in thought.

"Don't remind me." I rubbed my hands down my face. I felt exhausted yet couldn't sleep, a killer combination.

"You okay kiddo? You look a little tired, maybe you should go back to bed." Mr C poured himself a coffee.

"Can't sleep I'm afraid."

"Got a lot on your mind? I'm a great listener. Just ask my wife." He took the seat next to me, the smell of his coffee attacked my senses. I never could figure out why people loved that stuff so much.

Noting my disapproval of his drink, Mr C laughed whilst moving it the opposite side of us.

"Got to function so how, now what's going on?"

I paused, unsure of whether to ask him the question that had been bothering me. Well one of them. The truth was, Robert slapping me wasn't okay and I didn't want him to think of me accepting his help paying for university as such. Yet, The Cotton's had already given me so much, how could I ask them to put me through university when my father had a shit ton of money.

If I accepted the money, would Robert expect more from me? Would he use it against me if he found out about Dean and I? So many unanswered questions.

"How much is my uni going to cost you?"

Mr C was surprised by my question, or perhaps my bluntness of it. I'd been spending too much time with Dean.

"It doesn't matter what it costs me, education is priceless. If that's what's keeping you up then don't waste a second thought on it."

"I can't ask you to pay for something when my father is loaded."

Mr C unexpectedly placed his hand over my fidgeting ones, bringing my attention to his face.