Chapter Thirty

At six, dressed in a pair of black jeans, Converse and a normal t-shirt with a random logo on, I ran down the stairs. Excited for what the night might bring. I'd applied some make-up as well, making me feel like an actual human being for the first time in weeks.

Throwing open the front door I found Dean leaning casually against a car I'd never seen before, his arms folded as he looked at Conor with a bored expression. Connors ridge stands told me they were having a disagreement. Well Conor was at least, Dean on the other hand resembled someone merely listening to a story they'd heard a thousand times.

I couldn't stop the butterflies in my stomach, when I watched Dean's eyes light up at the sight of me. His expressions were so unreadable it felt good to know my presence sparked something of one. I told myself it had nothing to do with the fact that me being there offered Dean an escape from Conor.

"Robert won't like this." Conor announced, alarmed.

"How about you stick to your job and I'll stick to mine." Dean gave Conor a patronising tap on the arm. As if to say, fuck off old chap. He then proceeded to round the car, opening the door for me. I couldn't suppress my smile at the small gesture.

I kept telling myself it wasn't a date, yet the thought was there, refusing to go away.

Ignoring Conor, I got in, thankful for the window being down so I could hear the rest of the conversation as Dean got behind the wheel.

"Don't think I won't tell him!" Conor yelled, causing Dean to look at him pointedly.

Dean's posture looked so relaxed you'd have thought they were talking about the weather or something. He pushed the stick into first gear before replying to Conor. "Do whatever you want Conor. I don't care."

And just like that we were off.

Nobody at the gate even bothered to approach the car, they opened immediately and we were on our way. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely bricking it. All afternoon I'd spent on the phone with Gemma trying to decide the perfect outfit, before Chase had taken the phone off of her and decided for me.

The causal t-shirt look hadn't been Gemma's idea, she'd wanted me to wear a much classier and Gemma inspired look. But Chase's reasoning of being a boy and knowing what boys like won out. However, what Chase thought looked nice and Dean did were two different things.

As the car descended into the main road, I couldn't help but worry I'd gotten Dean into trouble. Being in the car brought back the memories of the last time Dean and I were out together. Although the circumstances had been very different.

"What was that about?" I asked, trying to take my mind off the uneasiness I felt about leaving the safety of the house behind.

"Connors trying to grow some balls, it's painful to watch, I know." Dean's tone was careless. He clearly meant what he'd said to Conor about him doing what he wanted.

The sudden change of attitude was a little alarming. Just last night he'd been telling me I couldn't even tell the Cotton's about us, and now he was taking me out in plain view? Basically daring Conor to tell Robert. Everything didn't add up.

"I don't want to get you into trouble." I bite my lip, thinking of how annoyed Robert might be.

Quickly glancing over, Dean placed a hand on my knee, rubbing slow circles to smooth me. Such a insignificant action, but one which made my heart skip a beat nonetheless. Who was I kidding? Every time Dean touched me my heart began to race.

But this was different. Dean wasn't touching me for a mutual sexual benefit. He was doing this just because, or to reassure me. Whatever it was for, the token hadn't been just for sex. Was I overthinking this, or had the dynamics of our relationship changed somehow?