Chapter Nine

At the time it had felt good walking out of the bar, now not so much. The bright sunshine had been replaced with the rainy night sky. To make matters worse, the battery on my phone had died a good hour ago, and I had no idea where I was going.

One of my heels had sunk deeply into the mud, covering my foot.

I guess I had to laugh, who else would storm out of a bar, in a town they didn't know and just walk for twenty minutes until they were absolutely lost and then look at their phone, only to discover it was dead. Oh right, me! Of course it was me.

Now I trailed along what looked like the way to Robert's house, but if I was honest I didn't have a bloody clue. There were no street signs, just endless woodlands mocking me.

Who did I think I was? This whole adventure had been a shit show from the very start, hell my life has been.

I'm a constant reminder to my mum and her husband of the sourdy affair she had, her kids hate me because my birth nearly broke up their parents marriage. Pretty much everyone in the town I come from thinks I'm a liar out to get my mother, my long lost brother thinks I'm a slut. And my long lost dad, he doesn't care if someone put a knife to my throat.

Using a tree for support I willed myself to see the funny side, biting back the tears which threatened to spill. The funny side was that the only people who ever looked out for me truly, were miles away.

I'm not sure how long I stayed leaning against that tree listening to the rain pour from the heavens. Luckily the night was still a bit warm, or my strappy dress wouldn't have offered any warmth.

My make-up was probably completely ruined from the rain running down my face. If only I had a mirror, I'm sure my appearance would make me laugh.

After a few more minutes, I carried on walking through the woods. Every now and then I'd hear a snap of a twig and stop. Half expected Jake to come out laughing. He didn't. Instead I wandered through the forest with a mixture of being shit scared to beyond angry.

It took another thirty minutes at least before I saw a set of very familiar gates. I began to breathe a bit easier.

The guy on the gate took one look at me and radioed my return. I had been hoping he'd offer me some sort of blanket or jacket for the rest of my walk to the house. He didn't, he actually looked pissed off.

Makes two of us, I thought.

The house loomed over me, tall and proud as I walked towards it. Emphasizing how much I didn't belong to this world. I couldn't agree more.

As soon as the door opened it revealed Dean stood in the centre of the hall. His expression made me think of the father's disapproving look after discovering their child had snuck out.

My heart sunk, out of everyone why did he have to be here? Hadn't I already been embarrassed enough tonight?

His eyes scanned my body, taking in every detail. Silently leaving a trail of fire behind them. I hated that even when I felt like my world was falling apart, he still had this effect on me.

"Was town not thrilling enough that you needed to take a walk through the woods as well? Not exactly the nicest night for it." Dean looked grimly at my feet, the blood rushed to my face.

Mud covered every inch of my feet up to just above the ankle. I looked a state.

When I said nothing Dean walked slowly towards me. Like a predator stalking their prey before going in for the kill.

"I've had security teams out looking for you!" Dean's Russian accent was much thicker than normal.

The tears from earlier came back with force this time. I bit my lip to stop it from shaking. No way was I about to give this man the satisfaction of making me cry. Not after all I've already been through tonight.

Where was Robert anyway? Surely, if anyone was going to tell me off it should be him? He was after all my dad biologically, if nothing else.

"I'm sorry." The words came out quiet and shaky.

Dean tilted his head, trying to hear. Then laughed in a way that told me he definitely didn't find the situation funny.

"You're sorry? Well that's okay then, don't worry about the men I had to get out of their beds to go find you. Your father's money makes you a target. Remember that the next time you decide to venture off."

I snapped. All the anger and frustration I've been feeling for the last few days burst out of me. I let the tears flow along with my mouth.

Carefully, placing one wobbly foot in front of the other I stepped towards Dean. Showing him I wasn't afraid of him, I was done with them all.

"Just stop! I've had a very shit night, I am muddy, I am wet, and I am tired. The last thing I need is a lecture from Mr perfect. Do you think I wanted to walk for hours in the fucking rain not knowing where I was going? No, I didn't! But my phone died and I before I knew it I was in the middle of fucking nowhere. And who would I call even if my phone did work right? My father who I never see, or perhaps my brother who got me kicked out of the club in the first place. So do me a favour, and fuck off!"

No doubt I looked a mess. I could feel strains of my hair plastered across my face, puffy eyes from crying. Even Dean looked kind of shocking for a second or two, then he went back to his normally blank expression.

As I went to barge past him, a firm hand gripped my arm. Stopping me from going any further. I closed my eyes, waiting for the cutting comments to come, but there were none.

I looked up to see Dean staring at me with an odd look on his face. Like he was seeing me for the first time. His eyes had no hardness or judgment behind them. He stood so close to me I felt the warmth radiating from him, heating me up from the inside and causing my nipples to harden.

All of a sudden I was very aware of myself, and Dean. Even breathing seemed too intimate. His fragrance filled the air, until all I could smell was him. My lips parted, exhaling a shallow breath, trying to calm my senses. I may not like the man myself, but my body sure did.

When Dean's eyes dropped to my mouth, I knew he felt it too. I doubted either of us could say what 'it' actually was, or admit openly we felt it.

Abruptly, Dean released me. Breaking eye contact and even turned his back on me. The hairs on my arms stood up as the coldness gradually seeped back in. Whatever moment we were having, was gone.

Even though I didn't say or do anything, I felt vulnerable. Here I was, half mud half water in front of Dean, wearing ridiculous heels and a dress Gemma had forced me to pack. All while Dean stood fully suited and composed as usually.

Hurried, I made my way to the stairs, praying I didn't fall down them as I went and add to my humiliation.

"Megan", God my name sounds good on his lips.

When I looked, he held in his hand a tiny black box with a key chain attached to it.

"Take it." He spoke so gently my hand was reaching out before I knew it. "It's a bit like a grenade. If you're ever in a situation like that again, pull the pin out. It'll tell me your location and you need help." Dean looked towards the front door, like he was expecting someone to come in. "I can't help with your family drama, but I can keep you safe."

I didn't get a chance to thank Dean, he walked off down the hall without glancing back.

Clutching the box firmly in my hand, I walked as quickly as I could to my room. Only once I was safely inside did I feel like I could breathe again.

What happened down there? Did this box mean a truce between Dean and I? And that moment...

I slid down the door with the box in my hand. God, my feet were a mess. I twinkled them a little and bits of dried mud flicked off. This night has been the worst one so far, yet I couldn't keep the smile off my face. How did I manage to get myself into these situations?

As soon as the water ran clear in the shower I jumped out, tiredness drawing me to my bed. With Dean's black box safely placed on my nightstand, I drifted off to sleep.