Chapter Twenty-Five

The car jolted to a stop, waking me from a dreamless sleep. It didn't take long for the memories of today's events to come flooding back. That was further imposed by the security guards standing outside of the door.

In the days I'd stayed here, I'd seen many guards walking about. So when I say there was a heavy present, I don't mean a few more than normal. I'd never seen them with guns either, after everything they didn't reassure me.

"It's just a precaution. You're safe, and I'll keep it that way." Dean spoke kindly, sensing my nervousness.

As Dean got out of the car, I wanted to follow suit, so why didn't I? My body sat rigid in the seat, refusing to budge.

My hand rested on the handle, I willed myself to do it.

Come on, ten steps and you'll be inside. Dean will be with you the whole way.

Just to prove my point, Dean opened my door. His arm instantly wrapped under my arms as he helped me out of the car and into the house. My body felt sore and bruised with each movement I took. If someone was looking from far away I'd have probably assumed Dean was helping his elderly grandmother into her house the way I hobbled.

When we entered the house the atmosphere was far chiller than that of outside. Robert stood in the middle of the entrance hall, arms crossed, chin turned up with a stubborn edge and a face reserved for a disappointing teenager who'd sneaked out, not your daughter who'd just been in a life threatening situation.

I looked to Jake for some explanation, his body language was awkward and uncomfortable. Like he couldn't decide if he wanted to lean against the stair bannister and listen in, or run away.

Dean must have sensed this too, his body went stiff and the arm he'd wrapped around me dropped so his hand merely touched my back. Still silently telling me he was there. A gesture I appreciated more than he could know. I felt strong with Dean by my side. Like nobody would hurt me. Hadn't he proved that?

"Where have you been?" Robert addressed Dean.

There were about ten other men in the room and Victoria, all who looked away from Dean whilst he was being spoken to so disrespectfully. As if they didn't want to get involved but also didn't want to support Robert.

Dean's hand flexed against my back, telling me he was struggling to control his temper. I'd never thought of Dean as someone who didn't have full composure at all times. One look at his face, nobody couldn't notice the harsh look that had taken over.

"I think that answer is obvious." Dean responded simply.

A redness began to spread into Robert's cheeks, and a few of the people in the room risked a glance at Robert. Luckily for them his eyes pierced only towards Dean.

"Don't backchat me. I have teams that handle this kind of thing, you weren't to go." Roberts' voice echoed around the hall, making his anger more penetrating.

"I wouldn't have been fulfilling my side of the deal with the Duskin Family if I let one of your family members die, now would I?" Dean bitterly spat out. "Or had you forgotten that?" He stepped forward, challenging Robert.

The loss of contact was felt immediately. Worse still, I didn't know who to watch, the unmoving Dean or Robert who looked like he was about to burst a vein. The tension was so thick I could almost feel its hands wrapped around my neck.

"Jake, take Megan to medical." Dean said, looking over his shoulder at me. His eyes checked me over one final time before turning back to continue his stare competition with Robert.

To my surprise Jake did exactly what Dean told him to. Ignoring the daggers from Robert, Jake led me down a corridor I'd only explored when it had been in ruins. Now, it had been transformed into a top notch medical facility, equipped with four hospital beds and a load of machines I'd never seen before.