Chapter Thirty-One

My eyes flew to Dean's who looked annoyed to see me there. I wanted the ground to swallow. With a single touch, the door slid open, revealing my crap hiding place.

"How long have you been there?" Dean's body blocked the others from view, his gaze watching me intensively.

"Just." Hating how my voice betrayed how scared I felt.

Why I thought I could lie to Dean was beyond me, his eyes zoned in. Analysing not just the words, but the tone. His perception when it came to body language was like nobodies I'd ever met. Hell, I thought Chase's was pretty good, yet he didn't compare.

He knew. The change in his eyes told me everything. Like God had rained down snow, the once friendly depths were now hard, cold ice. No longer able to control the fear which gripped me, I slowly took a step back. Momentarily a look of panic crossed his face.

"Megan. Nice to finally meet you. I'm Diego." The man squeezed around Dean, offering his hand.

Self-conscious with Dean's eagle eyes surveillanced each movement I made, Diego pulled me past him and into the kitchen. Awkwardly, I stood in the centre. With Dean still by the door behind me, Benji and his girlfriend Tammie wrapped protectively in his arms, and Diego all looking at me, I felt like a freak show.

"Come in, come in. Has anyone offered you any food?" Diego asked, hurriedly putting a tea towel back in its place.

Immediately, I thought how unwell Diego looked. His cheeks caved in, leaving the skin to look almost like it had been draped over his face. His dark skin had a greyish tinge to it, and his eyes never kept still. They wandered continuously.

Even if I hadn't heard the conversation, Diego's addiction, or previous addiction was painfully clear.

My heart ached, I couldn't blame Benji for being mad that I was here. I felt mad Dean had brought me. How could he be so insensitive? Diego didn't need the daughter of the man who'd fucked over his family at his house whilst he was in such a fragile state.

"Yeah, Josiah gave me a hot dog." I smiled politely, forcing myself to look away.

"Great stuff." Diego trailed off. God, I wanted to be anywhere but here. "A drink?" Diego suggested with false upbeatness, that only showed how harrowing my presence was for him.

I shook my head, not trusting myself to speak. Tears burned the back of my eyes, I blinked rapidly. No way would I cry, I had no right to.

"We have alcohol if you want something with a kick?" Benji offered, purposefully being civil.

"This house is an alcohol free zone." Dean growled at Benji, taking some of the anger he had for me, out on him.

"It's just for your birthday, I'm having none. Don't worry." Diego's attempt to cool down the simmering anger radiating from Dean did nothing.

Especially when Benji untangled himself from Tammie, and the pair made to go past him. Deliberately, pausing. "Leave that up to me, it is my only purpose, remember." Benji all but spat the words at Dean.

Turning in just the right time, Diego punched Benji lightly on the arm, breaking the already mountaineering tension.

"Apologise to Megan for earlier." Diego pointed over to me, causing heat not from the summer weather to rush into my cheeks.

"Oh no that's-" Raising his hand, I stopped talking immediately. Diego gazed towards Benji.

"I'm sorry." The apology came easily from Benji, to easily give the circumstances.

"Why are you sorry?" Asked Diego.

"I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable."

"Hey, no worries. I'm sorry for my dad screwing your family over. I hadn't realised" The words were said before my brain could register them.