Chapter Thirty-Two

After Josiah effectively told Ryker and Kimi to stop packing on the PDAing, and Diego, Benji and Tammie finally joined the group, Dean relaxed more. Everyone seemed to be talking to everyone, including me. I learned that Tammie wrote music, and she'd met Benji when he'd been a bouncer at one of her gigs. And that Ryker had once had to stitch up his own leg when he'd gone hiking a few years back.

Mostly, I spent time just listening. It didn't escape my attention that Josiah and Dean had many hushed conversations. The two were very much alike I thought. Apart from Josiah being a very welcoming and warm present whilst one look from Dean could make you shiver. The pair seemed to enjoy sitting back and watching everything play out.

On the odd occasion that I was between conversations, Dean's fingers would entwine with mine. I'd look at him, hoping to see a smile or something, but he'd always just be talking to Josiah. However, his thumb would endlessly rub circles into my hand, letting me know he was there.

"Correction, you do miss. So stop lying." Kimi announced loudly.

"I would never lie to you Kimi. I respect you too much for that." Cory schmoozed.

"Bullshit, I've seen the scar on Ryker's back where your axe landed itself."

"I don't doubt that. It's quite a big scar, what I'm saying is, I don't miss." Cory leaned back, cockily resting his hands behind his head.

"You better have missed, because we can find ourselves another tech guy." Ryker's voice had a slight edge as he sat up straighter in his chair.

"God, Ryker, your words hurt me. After all we've been through." Placing his hand over his heart, Cory gave Ryker a fake hurt expression.

"Alright, alright listen up. There is only one way to solve this. Axe throwing competition." Josiah declaration was met with a positive response from everyone but Dean. He resembled someone who'd been told they'd have to play with the children rather than sit at the adults table.

"Suits me fine. We can finally put this topic to rest." Ryker stood up, cracking his fingers in front of him in preparation.

"I'll do it. On one condition. Everyone has to take part." Cory negotiated.

"Why? So you look less pathetic when the girls go out first." Kimi immediately stood up, Ryker instantly knew his mistake after taking one look at Kimi's face of outrage.

"Excuse me? Who the fuck says us girls can't throw an axe as well as you guys." Kimi poked Ryker in the chest. She fell a whole head shorter than him, but something told me the girl could deck Ryker if she wanted to.

"Babe come on. I love you, but you're not up to our standard." Ryker tried to reason unsuccessfully. He made an attempt to enclose Kimi's pointed finger, but she wasn't having any of it. Instead she pushed him forcefully away.

"Looks like we're all taking part then." Tammie said as she stood up, soon followed by everyone else.

Even I stood up, only to notice Dean stayed stretched out in his chair, staring at the glass in his hand as he swirled it around.

I tugged on his arms.

"Not me. I'll watch." Dean didn't move from his spot, but his words carried. Soon Diego and Josiah were leaning over him, Dean simply stared at them as if they bored him.

"What are you on about? Birthday Boy gets first throw." Diego said, kicking the side of Dean's foot.

"Don't be a bore on your own birthday. Megan tell him to take part."

With Josiah prompting I did as he asked. "Come on Dean." Dean only answered by giving me the bored look instead.

I really didn't understand this man, why didn't he want to take part in a bit of friendly competition with his friends? He looked unhappy, had I done something to annoy him? Has someone else done something to annoy him?