Chapter One

Staring intensely into my suitcase, I racked my brain trying to recall the invisible list of items I'd made in my head. Surely this wasn't everything? How could all my possessions fit so easily into such a small sized suitcase?

Having moved into the Cotton's three years ago with just the clothes I'd arrived in, it felt rude to want more, but I did. 

Explaining the guilt you feel to someone who's never been in that position was hard. Most think because the Cotton's took me in that of course they'd pay for me. Yet looking around at the items I'd collected over the three years I'd been with them, it only reminded me how much I owed them.

Before they grew too strong, I quickly pushed away the negative thoughts that threatened my happiness. This was a new start I told myself, nothing was going to ruin this.

I gave the room a final scan. Apart from the stuff set aside for tomorrow, everything was packed or tidied away. I was going to miss sleeping here. Unlike at Helen's house, this room actually felt like my own. It was homey and inviting, like the rest of the Cotton's home.

"How's the packing going? You're not taking that are you?" Gemma said, wandering into the room and stretching out across the bed.

Gemma had a way of making everything look elegant. Even the way she scrunched up her nose when holding my Nevada t-shirt looked cute.

Gemma was too busy looking at the t-shirt to see my hand, until I'd firmly torn it from her grip.

"Hey! What did we say?" I pointed at Gemma who immediately put her hands up as if a gun was being aimed at her.

I had a lot of love for Gemma, she was a difficult person to understand which made me sad. The world had made her this blunt, hard faced bitch, and then it pretended as if she'd just been born that way.

"Fine, just giving you my expertise." I ignored her, yet instead of placing the t-shirt back into the suitcase after being folded, I placed it by the side.

I may not like Gemma touching the few items I had, or criticising my fashion style, but the girl was going to be studying fashion at university and had an intern set up for the summer to watch alongside Don Court. 

Apparently, he was a big deal. 

Basically, she knew her shit, and I did want to make the best impression on my trip.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Gemma smirking and returned it with one of my own. 

"When does the job start?" I asked.

"Next week." Gemma spoke lightly. Knowing her, she was trying to play the whole thing down.

"Excited?" 

She seemed to consider the idea for a moment.

"No."

I gave her the 'are you kidding me' look. Which was normally reserved for her brothers.

"Okay, a little." Her mouth broke into a rare smile that lit up her whole face.

 She was beautiful, but when she smiled it transformed her face into a masterpiece no artist could capture. The long blonde hair and green eyes always made me think of Gemma as Rapunzel, especially when she smiled.

"It may sound melodramatic but I feel like my whole life has been leading up to this. It's everything I've ever wanted, I can't imagine anything else." Although I envied Gemma, she had a supportive family and sense of purpose and direction, I still felt immensely proud to call her my friend.

"That's amazing, and you deserve it. You worked so hard on that presentation, and you're a natural."

"Thanks. You'll find your place some day. You just need to do some searching first. Maybe this time with your father will help. Didn't you say he has lots of different businesses? Perhaps you'll take a fancy to one and help in the family business."