⊳forty-five [final]

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter forty-five: not innocent, but not always bad

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

"Will you take me back there?"

Y/n hesitated as she finished folding the blanket on the couch. She looked to the side where her son stood. He was fidgeting, picking at the skin near his fingernails. He looked anxious.

"It's not possible," She replied, placing the blanket on the back of the couch. Isamu's shoulders deflated a bit.

"W-Why?"

"Because I burned the house down," She said. "I couldn't stand the sight of it anymore. I couldn't go inside without thinking about how I was too late to get to you. It was overgrown, and I never took care of it. So I set it on fire and burned it, along with the memory of your father, to the ground."

"Who...who killed him?"

"I did," She said. "Seven times."

"S-Seven times?" He asked, his eyes slightly wide.

"Isamu, I did what I did. I had to. For what he did to you—"

"To me?" He said, his voice breaking slightly. "Mom, I watched him beat you! You'd beg and plead at him to stop and then come into my room as if nothing had happened! I was small, but I wasn't stupid! I knew what he was doing! He was killing you! Why are you so worried about me?"

"Because you're my son," She said. "And when you were born, I swore that nothing would ever happen to you. I took the beatings that were meant for you because I never wanted you to have to know that kind of pain. Not only physical but emotionally. But I wasn't fast enough to save you that day. I can't imagine what it was like, but I know that only hell followed it."

"Why? I...I've seen you, Mom. Why did you tear yourself up over this?" He asked. "Why couldn't you just get over me?"

"No matter how much time could have passed in the world," Her eyes softened. "You are, and forever will be, my firstborn son. You were my baby 'Samu. I wanted to give you everything. But I had you stolen from me too early. You were innocent, you'd done nothing wrong. And yes, I moved on with my life, but I never forgot about you. I've had other children, but none of them compared to you. I don't care how big you've gotten or what you've done...I'm just glad that I can have the opportunity to speak and hold you again."

"I'm sorry," Tears raced down his cheeks.

"Don't apologize to me, Isamu," She said, wrapping him in her arms. "Fuck, why are you so tall?"

The man laughed softly. "I...I missed you, Mama," He held her tighter. "A lot."

"I missed you too, baby," She whispered. "But I'm so glad you're here."