⊳forty-two

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

◤──•~❉᯽❉~•──◥

chapter forty-two: everybody wants to be my enemy

◣──•~❉᯽❉~•──◢

The place was quiet, the only sound being the soft tink of the ceramic cup being returned back to the saucer. There were people moving around them, but it was like someone had hit the slow-motion button. Their movements were all delayed and slowed, their images gray and fuzzy, faces blurring together and indistinguishable. Their mouths moved in silent conversations, their laughter never reaching the teenager's ears.

Kameyo looked away from her surroundings, instead focusing on the girl in front of her. Their table was vibrant compared to the grayness around them, almost as if someone had shone a light from above. Sora crossed her legs and rested her hands on her lap.

"What is this place?" Kameyo asked. "Where are we?"

"Don't you recognize it?" Sora pouted, making a tang of guilt bob in Kameyo's throat.

"This..." She looked around once more to confirm her suspicion. "This is your aunt's bakery."

Sora nodded. "We came here every day after school. It was like...our place. Until, however, you decided your place was with Maddox Miller."

Kameyo's face paled. "H-How do you—"

"Were you ever going to tell me your father was the one who took my older brother away? Who took my mother's eldest child? Who massacred hundreds of thousands of people?" Sora's eyes fell heavy in a glare. "How long did you conspire with him?"

"Sora, you have to believe me," She reached across the table and took one of the girl's freezing hands. "This isn't what I wanted!"

"I don't believe you," Sora said, turning her head to look at the door. "Because I can see the proof."

Kameyo looked over as the sound of a bell ringing filled her ears. The door opened, and Kameyo felt her eyes widen. The blonde man entered, tossing the butt end of his cigarette to the side before walking inside. His gaze fell onto the corner of the room, and his color began to fade as he mingled in with the background. Kameyo looked back at Sora.

"How do you know I met him here?"

Sora pulled her hand back, replacing it in her lap. "I'm more like my mother than you think."

Kameyo grabbed the cup and threw it at her as she jumped to her feet, knocking her chair back. "Get out of my fucking head!"

Her chest rose and fell heavily, her eyes widening when she saw the liquid floating in the air. Sora grabbed the cup and scooped the tea back into it before placing it back on the table. She looked at Kameyo with blazing eyes and a sinister grin.