Chp 44

Neriah

Neriah

I place the caramel bread pudding I was able to make—the only thing I was able to make to be frank—on the table. Thanks to Violet and Emma, who helped with the other dishes. According to them, Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes and vegetables was good enough. I agreed with them.

"I think we should get changed. I'll probably will have to take a bath, too." I examine myself and I find flour, wet patches and sweat on my old tee.

"You do that, we'll get changed and wait for the guests." Emma said and they both go their rooms. The idea of hosting our new neighbour was taken enthusiastically by my roommates, which I was grateful for.
To top it all, Anthony and Jack will be here too.

I wasn't as nervous as I usually would be. It's probably because the ratio of known people to less-known people is on my side. Plus, with so many people, the guests won't realise my socially awkward self.

After a quick shower, I get ready listening to the playlist I made for one of the books I was reading recently. I saw Mason's text saying he will be late as he ran in with some fans. I sigh but with the song-inspirerd scenarios I was able to control my nerves.

As I wear the necklace Mason gifted me, I think back to the times when we barely knew each other. But from the first time I met him, I knew there was something about him that I wanted to explore. I still remember it like it was yesterday that I stayed back even when I could have left or how I was hoping to run into him or something.

After getting a good look at myself, I place my phone in my pocket and wait for the others to arrive in the living room. I know I was early as my anxiety would never let me be late.

Thankfully, soon enough I hear the doorbell ring. Violet opens the door as if she knew it was Jack. Anthony comes soon enough and we all chat, waiting for our neighbour's arrival.

When the bell rang a second time, I gasped silently. To my surprise it was Mason along with Mr and Mrs Corinth. His presence itself brought relief in me. My heart beats faster the second our eyes lock.

His charming smile and the dimple that accompanied it was a deadly combination. I was rooted to my place even when he walked towards me. His oh so familiar and attractive scent reminding me of its comfort.