21. Le nouvel ami - The New Friend

I sighed for the nth time, as I sent another text to Mia

I sighed for the nth time, as I sent another text to Mia. Why did I think it would be a great idea to work in a cafe instead of the office, when I had to ask someone for important materials every ten minutes?

It was a sunny, albeit humid day in New York. Although the weather encouraged the sweat glands to work overtime, I liked it better than the harsh cold environment. I had yet to witness extreme cold in this city, but I was already not a fan of it.

The warm winds and clear skies were much better, as they didn't have me all shivering and vulnerable to the weather's unpredictability. It kept me reassured and confident in my body.

But, that didn't mean I could just wander off to any place, and make my team members work harder. Groaning under my breath, I looked disappointedly at the fifth empty cup of coffee. My body surely wanted more, but it would be suicide if I ordered another cup.

Already, the waitress had eyed me at my fifth cup like I was some alien from another world. Her dirty look seemed to be telling me that she thought I was some illiterate woman, which didn't sit well with me.

Five minutes later, when I felt that I'd have to cross the road and head over to Panache again, Mia replied. She'd quietly sent over the materials, without so much as a protest. Inwardly grateful to her for having to deal with me, I sent her a quick thanks instead of a ton of incomprehensible words in french.

It was only in the most vulnerable times, that my mother tongue popped up unannounced, and created problems for me.

I mustn't have worked for even a solid fifteen minutes, before I felt a bright flash of light being directed at me. Thinking it was the glare of the sun, I turned my head towards the window my table was put up against, but I instead found something else.

The paparazzi I'd sent away as I entered the cafe, an hour ago, had returned. Perplexed and cross, I prepared to stand up and give them a piece of my mind for aimlessly following me and making things uncomfortable for me, but I stopped myself.

It seemed like they weren't here for me this time.

The person they were following, was none other than supermodel Lily Jones. A brunette beauty, who was the same age as me, Lily Jones was on the same level of fame and popularity as Madison Thomas. Having started their career around the same time, these two excelled in what they did, and were on top of their game.

But, that didn't mean that they were rivals. Usually, people working in the same industry at the same time are considered as each other's nemesis, but not these two. From the beginning of their respective careers, they had established a candid friendship, and were known as the angelic sisters in town.

The best part of this whole friendship was that they often always worked together. It wouldn't be a successful fashion show, if these two weren't present.

Lily strutted in her black five inch Taro Ishida heels, and ordered a coffee for herself. Her confident stance showed how unaffected she was by the fifty people who had followed her all the from across the street. Clad in a black strapless crop top, and a matching mini skirt, she looked gorgeous, like she always did.