3. La rencontre - The Meeting

I looked out the window, trying to calm my nerves

I looked out the window, trying to calm my nerves. But, it was more than just simple uneasiness. I was on the verge of a breakdown, and my fingers were trembling uncontrollably. Partly because it was my first time on a plane, partly because I would soon be leaving the place I'd always called home.

I was a simple small town girl. I'd never been to big cities, except for Paris, and those trips too were just a handful. Something I could count on my fingertips. Again, it was one thing to take a trip abroad, it was another to stay there for good.

Especially, when I wasn't aware of how long that forever would be.

It could be years, it could also be a couple of months, depending on how well I did. But, would that be the only factor affecting my fate? Would everything be fine if I just worked harder?

For the last six years, I'd never had a major setback, because I'd invariably done my part perfectly. But past experiences had taught me that one's life wasn't just shaped by their actions, but by those of everyone they kept around.

My life too would further be determined by the people who would stay close to me.

But the fact that I didn't know who they would be, or even get a choice in this, was what made me the most anxious. For the next year, I had no say in my own life, all I had to do was play by the rules of another person, and pray I can still keep myself sane and sound.

Sounded perfect for me.

I looked to my left, and found my mama sleeping peacefully as soon as the plane took off. I smiled fondly, once again remembering why I was doing all this. Compared to the things she had gone through for me, my sacrifice was but just a drop. I could, and would pull this one year off, no matter what.

Eight hours later, I was getting off the plane with my mama, assuring myself that everything would be fine. New York, in my eyes, was anything but what they wrote in the newspapers. Even though the airport was gigantic, people occupied every inch of it. There was barely any room to move, and I felt asphyxiated.

I was already missing the peace of Chantilly.

We somehow went through all the procedures, and I kept my mama close at all times. She was more afraid and lost than me, as she didn't understand English that well. After an excruciating hour, when we finally came out, I instantly recognized the man who was supposed to pick us up.

Black hair, pale green eyes, and ridiculously tall, this young man was dressed in proper office attire. The white shirt and grey sweater on top strangely complimented his pale skin, and he even had a charming smile. What was he doing as a secretary? He should have been a model.

"Mr. Brice Martin?" I asked once we reached him at the barricade, and he smiled once again.

"Ms. Fontaine. Welcome to New York. I'm Brice Martin, and I will be escorting you and your mother to our office. Mr. Beaumont will then tell you what to do next. Please follow me."