8. Le dîner - The Dinner

I was furious. No, scratch that. I was absolutely livid, and ready to annihilate anything or anyone who dared to cross my way.

And, it wasn't about one stuck up woman trying to show me my place, I was furious with Florian, who had come off as such a principled and ethical man, yet he had talented people rotting in his company, and didn't even bat an eyelid at them.

The guffaws soon shrunk into snickers, and then completely died down as everyone went back to doing their duties. Everyone, but us. I felt a gentle hand on my shoulder, and turned around to see that it was Maria.

Sophie was nowhere to be seen, and when I looked for her, Maria said, "Sophie will be back shortly. She has gone to the restroom. Sit down Liz."

I then looked at everyone's faces. They were filled with nonchalance, but I had previously failed to see what they were hiding underneath that pathetic facade. Dejection, self-doubt, and shame. Martin and Maria looked like that, while the twins looked like they felt sorry about everything that just happened.

"Did something happen? Why did Sophie call this team worthless? Why did that woman say all those things to you? What's going on Maria?" I asked her, and her brown eyes became sadder than ever.

She whispered, her voice almost inaudible, "Liz dear, I don't know why you're here, but joining this team is no good news. If they tell you to join this team, it just means they want you to resign on your own, or spend the rest of your days in vain."

Her eyes shone with guilt and mercy, she felt bad for me and the fact that I was here. Her words drove another stake through my heart, and I couldn't believe I had fallen for Florian Beaumont's tricks so easily.

Maria had just confirmed my suspicions, and that became my lesson number one since I landed in New York, one day ago. Exhaustion of that lengthy flight, my future and everything I had dealt with in the past two days finally dawned upon me, weighing me down.

The rest of my day went by in a similar fashion. People would come and go, some were busy with calls, other holding private meetings for upcoming shows and events. But, we six were still there, not moving an inch from our positions. Sitting there like some stone statues who couldn't move, and thus, didn't have a life. Just one day of such treatment was like a torture to me, I couldn't even begin to imagine how it must have been for these five, who have been treated like outcasts for God knows how long.

As the day ended, Brice messaged me that he would take me to Florian's house. I sent him a text of affirmation, and picked my bag up. Saying goodbye to my desk mates, I rode the elevator down to the basement.

Those people looked like they had accepted their fate, but I wasn't like them. I would definitely fight against this, no matter how foolish it might seem to the others.

I wasn't just here to correct some spoilt brat. I was also here for my future, and I would fight tooth and nail for it.

Throughout the ride, I thought long and hard about how to approach the matter. I was so deep into the matter, that the thought of going to Florian's house didn't dawn upon me, until of course I had arrived.