4. An Uninvited Guest

Vladimir sat on the throne as he gazed at the females that had gathered in the ballroom for a chance to dance with the King.

The white walls of the Royal ballroom with green and golden detailing were decorated with black roses, resembling the darkness that resided within Vladimir's soul.

Enormous crystal chandeliers were hanging from the ceiling that illuminated the remarkable yet vague piece of architecture.

Only selective Vampires were invited to the Royal Ball and among them were the deadliest Vampire warriors, a bunch of political pussies, and a large number of females who thought that they had a shot at being the Vampire Queen.

Closing his eyes for a moment Vladimir sighed deeply. . .

Vladimir's instinct was awfully quiet today. It wasn't nagging him like it used to do. Even the air wasn't awfully depressing today. Which made Vladimir worry. Vladimir was the first person who was scared because he felt at ease.

He felt as if the air was whispering a secret that he couldn't catch. . .

Instead of the customary loneliness, Vladimir was feeling underlying anticipation.

Something was about to happen but what. . .?

“I guess it is time, my King.” Mercy pulled him out of his thoughts. He gazed at her and she gave him a tight smile.

"Tell me who started this stupid custom?" Vladimir mumbled in a bored tone as he looked at the females dressed in different shades of red at which he barely managed not to scowl at them.

Red was known to be the most desired color for a Vampire. Exotic yet enchanting. But seeing all the women dressed in red probably in trying to appear somehow appealing to Vladimir, the color lost its charm.

It took every ounce of self-control that Vladimir possessed not to bluntly laugh at the females that were throwing shy glances his way. They were trying to act coy and failing miserably at it.

"The Vampire council, my King. They are positive that you will choose a Queen after falling for someone from the countless nameless faces in the crowd." Even in Mercy's shush whisper Vladimir could detect an underlying loathe for the Vampire Council.

"Why did you arrange this without my permit?" Vladimir asked half-heartedly. The council had arranged a little game for him. A spotlight was going to stop randomly at any female from the crowd and Vladimir will have to dance with the fortunate female. That will be the first dance of the Royal Ball.

'What a disgustingly boring game.' Vladimir thought to himself.

"You have given more power to the council than you think." Mercy warned silently leaving the part that if Vladimir didn't get his shit under control then it won't be long that the council's decisions will challenge the words of the King.

Reading Mercy's mind Vladimir traced his tongue over his fangs to stop them from elongating. It was funny how everyone thought that he was clueless about the tiny political games the Vampir Council thought they were playing with their King.

They were completely oblivious of the fact that they were alive because Vladimir had allowed them to live.

He gazed at the private balcony of the royal ballroom where the members of the Vampire Council were arrogantly standing with their false illusions of power.

Vladimir was a predator who was toying with his prey. The counsel was stupid enough to think that they can make him do something he didn't want to.

Vladimir was the one who had given them power and he will be the one to take that power from them.