Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

What followed was a strained silence. Inside I mentally died. Physically I wanted to shake my head and go hide myself, unfortunately that wasn't an option. So I just stood, still in the centre of the fucking room, locking my lips firmly together.

"Thank you Megan." Breaking silence Diego said. "Wow, this is far too tense for a birthday party. Everyone grab a plate and take it outside."

Like everyone wanted to escape the atmosphere as much as I did, Benji and Tammie quickly snatched up the remaining plates and followed Diego outside.

Eager to join in, I made a bid for the door, only for Dean to step deliberately in my path. Thankfully he no longer wore a murderous expression.

"What did Josiah say about Diego's family?"

Glancing up at him, even when I was annoyed at him, I couldn't help admiring his beauty. It was beginning to become a sort of problem.

"Just that My father screwed them over. I'm guessing that's why you don't want me to mention any of this? Will you tell me what happened?" At last, a question I actually knew the answer to.

Deep in thought, I risked a step towards him. Laying my hand flat against his chest, loving how strong he felt beneath my touch. Eventually, I'd understand him, I assured myself. One day, I'll see under the armour he wears like a second skin.

"You believe them then?" Dean covered my hand with his, keeping my hand trapped against him. Not that I minded.

"I get a feeling my father isn't as... squeaky clean as I imagined him to be." I watched for any hint that suggested Dean knew that. How could he not, he worked as the man's right hand man? Did Dean now do the same to other people? Questions after questions, piled on top of each other. By the end of the summer, before I returned home, I'd make it my mission to uncover it all.

"What did you hear by the door?" His hand tightened on mine, there was that panicked look again. What was he afraid I'd heard? Was it the girl? I'd never asked, maybe Dean already had someone. Maybe I was the other woman.

"Nothing."

"Don't lie to me."

"Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?" I shot back, fed up of answering all his questions but never receiving the same courtesy.

Just as Dean opened his mouth, the man from the firepit crew wearing shorts arrived at the door. A can still in hand.

"I'd better be quick guys, you know how Ryker is when food is around." The man grabbed a plate of sausage rolls and quickly exited.

"Come on." Dean placed a hand on my back, guiding me outside, and leaving yet another one of my questions in the air.

Everyone had gathered around the BBQ, their laughter filling the air. All the tension from before seemed to have vanished, the power of food.

Out of nowhere, a Siberian husky with the bluest eyes I'd ever seen came bolting round the corner, charging straight for Dean. Smiling brighter than I'd ever seen, Dean opened his arms wide for the dog to jump straight into them.

Immediately, the dog began to lick Dean's face enthusiastically. It's body, unable to control the excitement of seeing its owner again, making it difficult for Dean to hold on.

Eventually, Dean placed the dog back onto the floor, giving plenty of belly rubs to try and calm them down.

"How have you been, girl? Missed me?" I'd never heard Dean's voice sound so friendly. Upon hearing her owner's voice, the dog began barking eagerly.

Watching the pair of them play gave me a different side to Dean. He always came off cold and uncaring, yet here his whole focus was on the dog who'd cleared missed him.