Chapter 23

When morning finally came, you woke to find yourself still in Natasha's bed with Scout at your feet. You stretched a moment before quickly realizing that she was no longer in the bed next to you.

You sat up quickly to find her sitting at her desk, her fingers typing away quickly on her computer. She looked over at you when she heard the rustling from her bed. "Morning, sleepy head," she greeted with a smile.

"Hi," you mumbled, "Is it late?"

She shook her head, typing a few more words before spinning around in her chair to face you with that same smile. "No, I'm an early riser. It's almost eight."

You hummed in response, getting out of the bed and stretching. You missed the way Natasha's eyes wandered your body. You mumbled in incoherent words, "I have that conference right?"

She nodded, taking in a deep breath and swirling back around in her chair, "Yep. I'm actually working on that right now, but it doesn't start until one, so you should be fine."

You sat at the edge of the bed. Scout stretched and yawned loudly before plopping in your lap as your legs kicked over the edge. "Working on it?" you questioned.

She nodded, "Your cards. What you should and shouldn't answer... Fury wants some confidentiality."

You laughed a little and shook your head, "I've been through these before, I know how to handle myself. I don't need any cards, I'll be fine."

She shrugged and turned back around, "Okay then. You ready for breakfast?"

You nodded, "Starving."

She smiled and headed towards the door, throwing it wide and bowing to allow you a path. You chuckled and stood, pushing Scout off your lap again as she dramatically rolled over onto the floor. She landed perfectly on her feet with another yawn and walked lazily after you. You did a little curtsy when you reached Natasha and the two of you walked to the kitchen, where breakfast was being prepared by Clint.

~

Breakfast was very pleasant, and Clint's pancakes were superior. It had been such a long time since you had a meal with a group so wonderful-even before you were taken, you had grown used to eating alone, with the occasional meal with some friends.

You fed Scout and took her on a walk around the back of the compound, where you would be safe from adoring fans. They were practically swarming the front of the compound, eager to see the Prodigy returning to normal. Although, they could easily be arrested if they did not leave soon. They were technically trespassing.

You had a nice, long shower and put on formal attire for the press conference in a few hours. You stopped by Natasha's room, knocking on her open door with a smile.

"Hey," you smiled, "You have a perfume I can use?"

Natasha looked up and nodded, "Yeah, I have a couple." She stood from her spot and strolled over to her large closet-everyone had a large, walk in closet-and the opened a small drawer. You walked in after her and leaned against the door frame.

She dug through them and pulled one out, it was in a tall bottle with marble-like designs over the front. It read "Rose Water & Ivy" on the label and you smiled. She offered it to you and you took it gratefully. "Thanks."

You stepped away and only managed a single spritz before you were suddenly in a fit of coughs. You bent over, setting the bottle down quickly as you covered your nose as it burned violently.

"Oh my god! Are you okay?" she questioned as she rushed over to you, her hands on your shoulders before she got in front of you to see your face.

You could barely see her, your vision was blurry from tears that gathered in your eyes as they burned, along with your nose and throat. "It's so strong," you managed as you tried to calm your coughs to no avail.